cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Model naming from CATIA STEP files

gchampoux
1-Newbie

Model naming from CATIA STEP files

We imported a customer's STEP file of an assembly that was created in CATIA V5R18.
The import was successful, but we noticed that some (not all) models have unusual naming.
The names sometimes ends with "_-" such as "nas1133e14_-.prt.1".
When I review the STEP file in a text editor, I can find "nas1133e14" but not "nas1133e14_-".
Does anyone know why Pro/E would add these extra characters, and how to avoid it?

Gerry

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Gerry,

Check the object names in the STEP file. Pro/E uses the underscore character for two reasons - name conflicts and unsupported characters. Given the example you describe, I would suggest that the issue is the latter rather than the former. If there is a character (e.g. "#") in the name that is not supported under Pro/E's naming convention it will be replaced by the underscore character.This looks like int might be your issue.

In the alternate case, two object names that are the same out to beyond the 31st character will be truncated and given and index ("_1","_2", etc) to insure unique names. I don't thin this is the case here.

Asa

Nope it's not those.
I already had looked through the entire STEP file.
We did see some duplicate-named objects, and they were renamed as expected with "_1" "_2" etc.
But that was not the case with the fils that were suffixed with "_-"
Gerry
Top Tags