cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Need help with editing imported files into creo elements pro school edition

ptc-4957114
1-Newbie

Need help with editing imported files into creo elements pro school edition

Hi everyone, i am doing a project in which i am required to design a case/ tablet holder and the product i have chosen is the iPad mini, i have downloaded the STEP file from the internet and have managed to import it into creo, however i need help editing the cad file as i want to build directly on top of the cad model and i do not know how to do so, last time i used datum planes but that took really long because i was not able to edit the CAD file directly instead i was making a case for the device manually. Please can someone help me out as i need urgent help. Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-4957114)

You can just start modeling on your STEP import. I am not sure what you mean by edit directly. You should be able to do whatever you want with the import as long as it came in solid.

Hi, I dont know how to access the edit interface i cant seem to find it, i dont know if it has something to do with the version of creo im using which has limited functions (creo elements pro schools edition). What i mean by directly is that i want to make an offset of the original cad file so that it is slightly bigger than the original file then work from there to design my case by editing the offset design. I am new to creo so ay suggestions on how i could design my case are welcome.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-4957114)

Ah, I don't know that UI. Regular CREO2 is on the modeling tools when you open a model.

There aren't parametric tools to edit a STEP import.

You can use the shape as a basis for offsets.

Make an assembly with the part model in it and then create a new component in the assembly. Make the new component active and the features you create will be in the new component. The part will be available for reference. Search Google for "create component in proe assembly" There's at least one Youtube video.

Alternatively, make a case and just adjust the dimensions to fit the tablet model dimensions.

I'll have a look at the video, worst comes worst ill just make the case and then adjust it lik you said. Thanks

Top Tags