cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Need to move an imported STEP model

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Need to move an imported STEP model

I'm needing to find the best way to move an imported STEP model into position using Creo Parametric.

Imported+STEP.JPG

As you can see in the picture the imported model is quite a distance from where it's origin should be and the model is tilted in a couple axis.

Can this be moved in the Import Data Doctor? I tried doing this but couldn't even create an axis on the imported model.

Would this be easier to do in Assembly?

This is in the customer machined position but needs to be in the die position.

We do not have the Flexible Modeling package.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pimm)

I find it much easier to simply create a coordinate system where I want it, STEP it back out using that new coordinate system, erase the old model from memory, and then STEP it back in. Sometimes you will need to create some extra datum planes or axis, but as long as these are hidden, they shouldn't go out with the STEP file.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I find it much easier to simply create a coordinate system where I want it, STEP it back out using that new coordinate system, erase the old model from memory, and then STEP it back in. Sometimes you will need to create some extra datum planes or axis, but as long as these are hidden, they shouldn't go out with the STEP file.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

A while back we were taught this method, but I forgot the application in this context. I tried this and it does work.

This does work because there is no history saved up to this point so there is nothing that you lose in creating an elaborate datum framework with other geometry. As you point out you just hide the datums, you can delete the construction geometry, output to the new csys and import it and you are ready to go.

This does work but it's a shame that you can't move around the object right in Import Data Doctor.

mbonka
15-Moonstone

Hello,

see following example. It´s a LEG with moveable nut. Same model was imported twice in the same part and some featers were excluded.

1. feater NOHA_PRUMER_50 --- include leg and exclude nut

2. feater MATKA_M6 --- include nut and exclude leg

step_file.JPG

Top Tags