cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Open a Direct Express file in student version

Rusty007
7-Bedrock

Open a Direct Express file in student version

Hi
My 10 year old son has painstakingly created a new fork in Direct Express, and in order to get modelled, needs to a generate an stp or step file.

We've downloaded the academic version of Creo but cannot see how to import the model. I see in the faq it says it can import stl files but we're having problems getting Direct or Parametric to recognise the file in the Open window. How do we open?
Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Fender
13-Aquamarine
(To:Rusty007)

Good afternoon!

If you have a model in STP format, then you need to go to the "Model" tab -> "Get data" (second tab, drop-down menu) -> "Import" to import. Then select the desired STP file, open it, wait for the import, click on the green tick and continue working further.

(from Google tanslate)

I'm using the training version.

Sincerely, Evgrafov Aleksandr.

P.S. If I misunderstood you - describe the issue in more detail. For verification, you can attach any model file created by you to the direct express so that I can try to import the file myself as you need.

Rusty007
7-Bedrock
(To:Fender)

Hi there.

Sorry, I don't have the stp format. I have in either pk2, stl, bdl, or vrml formats. Question is how do I open these in full student version?

I have read on this forum that pk2 cannot be opened in the pro version, but does that include the student version too?

Attached is a sample stl file of a piece he created. Before you attempt to open, you need to rename it as a ".stl". Can you find a way to open this?

Thanks..
Fender
13-Aquamarine

Look what happened after importing the STL model file.

Fender
13-Aquamarine

Here is the STP file after importing the model.

Rusty007
7-Bedrock

Thats great!

I'm assuming that all the the curved surfaces are perfectly smooth and not faceted?

I can't open the .rar on my phone, but is that a compressed .stp file?

Also, I'm getting the attached error when trying to start Parametric. Would you know why it's doing that, and how to resolve? I'm running latest windows on my laptop.

Thanks very much..
Fender
13-Aquamarine

Good afternoon Rusty007!

Unfortunately, I can not check the structure of the model now. Two options - either this is a graphical display (which I doubt), or after import, after exporting the model file.
In my practice it was like this - I saved the model in the STP format in the Autodesk Invertor, opened it in the program for the slice and found the polygonal structure of the part with the broken scale. When saving in point format, you need to check the save settings.

Yes, in the archive there is a saved model file in STP format.
To extract the archive without the program using the phone and Internet browser, you can use the online services to unpack the archive. Sometimes this can be very useful.

To solve the problem with starting the program, I advise you to reinstall it. To exclude such errors - install the program in a partition where your operating system is not installed. During the installation process, watch out for pop-up messages, they can be positive and negative about the results of the installation process.

Rusty007
7-Bedrock

Hi Evgrafov

Oh Ok, so you didn't open the stl file directly in Creo? Instead you opened in Autodesk Invertor and then saved in .stp there?

I don't have Autodesk but have seen in online forums that the FreeCAD app is mentioned as a way of then saving in stp.
Fender
13-Aquamarine

The interpreter does not translate correctly.
I described an example with Autodesk. I opened your file in Creo.

Fender
13-Aquamarine

Hi Rusty007!

I checked the import in the CAD system NX (by SIEMENS).Elements of radii and circles really have a polygonal physical form, and not a smooth one as it should be.
Conclusion - it is possible that when saving a file in the STL format, all necessary parameters were not specified.

Top Tags