cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

PCB and coponent layouts Using ECAD with Pro/E

jonconnell
1-Newbie

PCB and coponent layouts Using ECAD with Pro/E

Does anyone have much epxerience with using Pro/E in a pcb layout environment?

I have yet to purchase and ECAD system - I have more demos on my deskptop than you can shake a stick at. I have to work with precise placement of mechanical details as laid out on pcbs. I need a bi-directional solution - design is driven at both ends sometimes.

I am somewhat surprised at the miserable level of interchange ability that exists. I have PADS - for instance, there are many others though - and I have set up some config files to bring parts in / out of that using the usual file routes. I honestly don't think much of the process. Reminds me of the state ofCAD a decade ago.

Yes I am on 2001 still, but the total lack of integration really frustrates me.

I completely understand the difference in design intent of CAD and ECAD. I just don't understand why nobody is making something better - maybe I am missing something?

I work in lighting and todays lighting needs to mate electronics with mechanical parts as seamlessly as I mate sheetmetal with solids in CAD. I am sure I am not the only engineer out there that needs this.

If I redisgn a lens profile I want the pcb traces to move with what I am doing... the usual 3d cad justification of avoiding collisions and ensuring fit.

Programs like Altium look like a close cousin graphically to our 3d cad world. A company needs to step up and make them the same world IMHO.

If I had 5 years and a backerI would go ahead and develop my own - thats how far away from a solution I find the industry to be... after a month or twoof looking.

PTC has some major clients in lighting and I can't beleive they are not getting their doors beaten down - specially considering solid state lighting is considered to be the number one growth prospect in engineering ove rthe next decade.

Someone writeand change my opinion please.

I am about to make the jump from 2001 to WF 3.0 - thanks all for the advice on that previously given btw.

regards,

Jon Connell, IESNA

www.productswithpassion.net

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

John, did you get an answer to this question from 2 years ago? A group here just started using Altium, but we are still working out the bugs of exchanging information with Wildfire 5. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Wade,

If you have any questions regarding Pro/ECAD I would be happy to assist.

I also wanted to let you know that Simplified Solutions will be releasing a new product, IDF-TO-3D within 1-2 weeks that streamlines the creation of 3D PCBs.

The product allows Electrical Designers and Engineers to create a 3D PCB from IDF data in a couple of hours and pass a 3D PCB Assembly in STEP format off to the appropriate Mechanical Designer/Engineer. Mechanical Engineers and Designers can use the tool, but typically EEs are much more familiar with PCB component types and will be more efficient with its use.

The use the tool is free, charges apply for the download of the final 3D PCB.

The initial release of the product will be a web application for Internet Explorer (versions 6, 7, and 8). The workflow is as follows:

1. The user uploads IDF files (emn/emp or other common IDF file types)
2. The IDF information for both the top and bottom side of your PCB appears in an IDF viewer.
3. The user chooses replacement 3D components for each unique component on the PCB from either our shared library (2,000+ common electrical parts) or local user library of submitted data. After a component selection is made, an enhanced wireframe image of the component is placed on top of the "IDF blocks" for all instances of that unique component. The user can rotate the enhanced wireframe image location and orientation with respect to the IDF component data to match the 0,0 point location and orientation used in ECAD.
4. After all 3D replacement components are selected, data can be transferred to our server where the 3D PCB is created.
5. A preview JPEG thumbnail and a 3D PDF of the new 3D PCB are available for FREE to verify the design was completed properly.
6. When happy with the content, you can purchase a download of the 3D PCB...the cost will be a few hundred dollars...this price will include the integration of 5 uploaded 3D components as well as the build and integration of 2 3D models from vendor "PDF" datasheets into a local user library.
7. For more frequent users, we will be offering an unlimited use/download package.

For more information, please see
Top Tags