cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

PDF file size

janderson2
1-Newbie

PDF file size

I think that this question has been raised before but whenI save drawings as PDF files the file size is way bigger than I believe it should be. On average I would say about 10time what I would like it to be (3MB vs 300K). I have played with all the settings but most of them only make the problem worse (got variationsfrom 3M to 14MB on a test file).

1. Am I the only one with this issue?
  2. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

Any feedback or suggestions greatfully recieved.

Kind regards

Jason Anderson

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:janderson2)

I've changed my quality from 3 to one and its much faster. I am not sure
about size.

print configuration>model (tab)>quality (1, no overlap check).

Same problem here and I have not found a solution within Pro. We run Acrobat 9 standard and our solution is to run the "reduce file size" process after the new PDF opens. You can save the reduced file as the same name (over writing it) or as a new file if you desire.

Jason,

PTC recommended we open the PDF and save it as a tiff file. I know this sounds strange, but it reduces the file size by approximately 10:1. I expect PTC to improve their PDF tools for creating, inserting and printing PDFs, but probably not for WF4.

Regards,

Will Swank
Case New Holland

What version of Pro/E are you using? Are you selecting the searchable text option? Are you using TrueType fonts or stroked fonts?

When WF4 came out I ran a few tests on the new PDF tool. I found adding searchable text added a little bit to the file size, but making the fonts stroked doubled the file size.

Best Regards,
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:janderson2)

I changed from quality 1 back to quality 3 and 3 is actually smaller.
Not by much. Tested a small drawing. I guess this has nothing to do with
it.

We make our PDF's manually (a mapkey) by printing to a postscript file
and running it through the Acrobat Distiller. A one-sheet drawing
typically ranges from 75 KB to 300 KB in size. Not sure why Pro/E's PDF
process should make files that are ten times larger.

Mike Foster

ATK

Typically most of the PDFs are less than 1 MB for me (using distiller or SAVE AS to PDF), unless:

* Stroke all fonts instead of true type fonts (~2X size) - Be careful using the true type fonts, certain fonts does not support the +/- symbol, you'll see 5.00 + 0.005 instead of +/- (especially using old ProE fonts - TAN 136957)
* Shaded Views (~5X size)

Cal

We use a mapkey that creates it and then use ghostscript and
freedist.exe and our pdf's are from 29K to >1.3MB and that is for a 3
page full size D drawings with all details included. We have been using
this before pro-e had pdf capability this was put out by Tony Troglio.

Sincerely,

Rick L.
Design Draftsman: Husky Corporation

We upgraded WF3 to M180, somewhere between M040 and M180 they fixed the large PDF size issue.

Well it's broke again in WF4 M090

Regards,

Will Swank
(717) 355-1146
Top Tags