cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Paperless manufacturing

ptc-2037655
1-Newbie

Paperless manufacturing

I'm looking into doing a development project without creating paper drawings. I am on Wildfire 4.0 but do not have the Pro Manufacturing application. I can annotate all the legal notes and inspection information in a part file and I can save the part file to a STEP file to provide to the machine shop for use with their CNC machines. But the STEP file does not contain any of the legal or inspection information (datums, tolerances, surface treatments, etc.) Can anyone tell me what the procedures are for doing manufacturing without paper drawings? Thank you.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-2037655)

What we do is have a key point drawing which contains the legal,tolerance,finish or any other data which is not carried in the model or STEP file so for instance it will have a view or 2 with the outside dimensions of the part as reference dims a hole table, finish spec. Then we include the pdf in the data pack with the STEP file to the subcontractor. We also log all transfers to subontractors in a database and store the KPD & STEP file in our enterprise PDM tool.

Scott Sorry I don't the exact step model reference number, but you will need to use the new step model as your output. A recent change to the global step model standard incorporates the annotations that you want to send along with model. Eric

Hi Scott, What you want to do can be done. I made my business completely paperless 3-1/2 years ago and really like it. I don't have any paper in my office and don't accept any from customers either. I provide all my customers with 3D databases in Pro/E, Step & iges and 2D drawings in Pro/E, dxf and pdf formats. Everyone seems to like it and I've had no complaints. Try it ... you'll like it! Best to all, Robert 3D Accuracy www.3d-accuracy.com

Scott I suggest you look in to using ProductView as a model viewer for the people in the workshop. ProductView is a great tool that enables the user to see all annotation features added to the model. The new ProductView Lite 9.1 is very user friendly and requires minimum of training. Hugo
mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:eric.mills)

Anyone know any more about the new STEP I would like to see annotation on STEP files?

Hi Martin...

Annotations on STEP files are available in Wildfire 5 (Creo Elements Pro/5) and up! When you export your step, you just have to make sure you've checked the box to include annotations! See below!

step_annotations.png

Thanks!

-Brian

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:BrianMartin)

Brian

Thanks that is useful to know.

Cheers

Martin

Top Tags