cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Pro/E & Visual Basic Interfacing HELP!!!

Dandreoli
1-Newbie

Pro/E & Visual Basic Interfacing HELP!!!

Does Pro/E have functionality with Visual Basic or some programming language?

I am a recent grad, new to Pro/E and have a little VBA experience. I am trying to create some code which will allow me to automatically open Pro/E files, create PDF's and then close the file. I haven't used these community type sites much either, so I don't think I am searching very effectively. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be so grateful.

Eager to learn all I can,

thanks very much,

Derek A.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Derek

A new Parametric Foundation Classes (PFC) based Visual Basic API is available in Wildfire
4.0. Users versed in Visual Basic programming can use this new API to automate and
customize Pro/ENGINEER from Visual Basic.NET applications and Visual Basic macros in
applications like Microsoft Word, Excel or Access.
The Visual Basic API:
- Contains the same capabilities as asynchronous J-Link (core Pro/ENGINEER part,
assembly, and drawing manipulation; Windchill server access; data exchange; Pro/
ENGINEER user interface customization and applications triggered by events
occurring in the Pro/ENGINEER session)
- Is compatible with Visual Basic .NET 2005 and Visual Basic for Applications
- Can be used to transfer data between drawings and OLE objects embedded in Pro/
ENGINEEER drawings, such as Excel spreadsheets
- Requires no license beyond the license to run Pro/ENGINEER
Users already familiar with Visual Basic will find this API easier to use than less familiar
APIs. Users may apply this API to transfer information between Pro/ENGINEER and other
Windows applications with Visual Basic APIs.

source: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/65595/en/WhatsNew20Feb.pdf
(Product What's New: Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0)

Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0 VB API User’s Guide (June 2009):

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/61622/en/vbug61622.pdf

Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 VB API User’s Guide (July 2010):

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/99870/en/WF5_M050_vbug.pdf

So long!

teoti18

Derek,

Besides the fact that you could achieve it with Visual Basic, do you know that Pro/E has a built in tool - called Distributed Pro/BATCH - where automatic PDF export of a given list of drawings is standard functionality ? It may save you some programming work. The Standalone version is included in a Foundation XE license.

Regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom,

It looks like Pro/BATCH is going to do what I need. Do you know where I can find additional .ttd files? I don't seem to have the pdf creator in my folder for some reason.

Thanks very much

Derek A.

Derek,

<Load Point>\text\ttds

plot_drw_to_pdf.ttd

or

plot_drw_single_pg_to_pdf.ttd

Regards,

Don A

Thanks,
Don Anderson
No time Like the Present!