cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Product View: PDFs will not open

ptc-2887329
1-Newbie

Product View: PDFs will not open

I have a user that cannot open PDFs from his computer with Product View. The output is a blank screen. The message that appears when right clicking on the file name and Open in a New Window is that he does not have the Collective Document Collaboration option installed. I do not receive this message with any other user. I can remote in to his computer and open a PDF fine but sitting at his computer at his desk, I cannot. His other standalone PDFs open fine for him. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Product View with the same results. Adobe Reader 9 is properly installed. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

we are having the same issue here but our Adobe version is 8, when we updated to version 9 it worked ok

For me it says "Failed to load the file. May be Acrobat is not installed". But, then the document opens in an external Acrobat Reader window. It would be nice to open it directly in PV and save annotations to it.

amais
4-Participant
(To:pwyndham)

Are you launching the PDF from the integrated browser on a x64 platform?

We ran into this issue as well. From what I found, it is caused by the x64 version of Product View launching the x86 version of Adobe Reader. Unfortionalty, there is not a x64 version of Adobe Reader.

To my knowledge, in order to make and save annotations to the PDF file, you need to be running Adobe Standard or Professional, which a x64 version is available.

pwyndham
3-Visitor
(To:amais)

Yep, It is a 64x machine. Thanks

For this type of issue/warning, the below workaround might get work done.

Edit->Preferences->Internet->

under Web Browser Options, check the box beside Display PDF in browser

This might solve your problem.

Paul Wyndham wrote:

For me it says "Failed to load the file. May be Acrobat is not installed". But, then the document opens in an external Acrobat Reader window. It would be nice to open it directly in PV and save annotations to it.

Just try uninstalling the "Document Viewing Option" from your Control Panel>#Add or Remove Programs

It might because when you installing the Productview, you select the "PDF collaboration Option", it should not be selected if you using Adobe Reader

Hi all,

pls check,

1. install adobe reader 9.0 (check compatibility matrices)
  2. in adobe reader go to edit >> preferences >> Internet >> check 'display pdf in browser
  3. Open pdf in creo view.

I have below configuration :

• Windows 7 professional
  • Creo View 2.0
  • Windchill 10.0 M040
  • Adobe reader 9.5.4
Top Tags