cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Project Lightning Wish List

pwyndham
3-Visitor

Project Lightning Wish List

This list is to articulate our wants and needs to PTC on what changes we would like to see to Pro/Engineer Wildfire with the release of Project Lightning. I was asked to put a list of what my company wanted to see in Lightning, and thought it would be better if PTC saw what the whole Pro/E community wanted to see.

Please keep all comment upbeat and positive. Absolutely no hate statements.

I think it is important to have some rules for this, so here is a starter on them. They are subject to change if it proves to be needed.

• One enhancement per reply - this will make it so people can comment directly to that request with additions, elaborations or +1, -1 comments
  • Keep the requests specific and precise - consistent UI throughout Pro/E is a great request, but is very broad and might be better stated differently
  • No mention of other company branding, names or abbreviations - if you want your request to be listened to don't say Pro/E needs to be like a different tool. I am sure you can find another way of stating or explaining your wish then make it like ..... Siting other PTC products is OK.
  • No off topic discussions
  • Keep all comments related to the request you are replying to
  • When you post a new request, reply to the original post. This will keep all the request at the top level and better to read.
  • Add pictures, screenshot, PDF's or other illustrations to help you point.
  • Change the title of your post to have a short title for your request.
  • Try to make your request fit with WF5 where possible. It would be useless to request something they already did in WF5. (for example: Update the Cabling module)
  • The list is not in order of importance. You can put any request in any order.
  • etc...

I will start with a couple requests to get the ball rolling. I will keep adding them over time to give opportunity for others to add requests.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
82 REPLIES 82
gvora
6-Contributor
(To:FrancescoPompeo)

To,

Francesco Pompeo,

Gentleman,

You can do that by adding 'SKETCH' in the file for the SKETCHER PALETTE.

You can build your own sketcher palette by this way.

Gautam Vora.

Yes, I Know, but I would like to do that with a direct icon.

So Pro-E will be mutch more friendly for new users.

It will be usefull to see the depth of extrusions and hole in the hole table in the drawing.

Now it is possible only for standard hole, but often I need it for not standard hole and extrusion.

The problem is that only standard hole has an internal note with the depth parameter.

If extrusion and simple hole had this note we could show the depth in the hole table for this features.

J1SRC
1-Newbie
(To:pwyndham)

How about the ability to blank out the quantity on custom QTY balloons for single item parts. Currently a quantity of 1 shows on single items and there is no way to hide or remove it.

The work around is to manually add text next to standard balloons and group it so they stay attached.

J1SRC
1-Newbie

The ability to create balloons for a multi-model/rep columns in a repeat region.

Currently you have to use a master table for the balloons and create a slave table that uses multiple model columns. You then need to fix the index for both table so they are the same.

chris5
1-Newbie
(To:J1SRC)

Hi

In WF5 you can change the type of balloon to "with quantity".(In menu manager bom balloon)

Then the ballonn is divided in two on top the number in the bottom the quantity.

I do not know if that wasn't availeble in previous versions.

Regards

Chris

J1SRC
1-Newbie
(To:chris5)

Hi Chris,

Changing the balloon type is not my concern. Quantity and custom balloons in ProE have been around since pre version 18. The problem is you cannot mix simple balloons and quantity balloons for the same repeat region. The balloons must all be of the same type. Therefor items in the BOM with a quantity of 1 show up with a "1X" next to the balloon. The standard practice in the Aerospace industry does not show a quantity of 1X next to the balloon on single items, only on items with a quantity of 2 or greater. Therefor it would be nice to have the abitity to blank out or hide the quantity or better yet let the repeat regions use mixed balloons.

Thanks...Randy

This might already in edition post WF3. Beeing able to view square on a slected surface whitout having to create a new view would be a serious advantage.

Nicolas

pwyndham
3-Visitor
(To:nico74)

That would be so nice to pick a surface and say orient, or something like that. I can think of many times were that would have been nice.

PS. Thanks for revising the title of you suggestion to match its subject.

Hi

I came upon a strange thing.

I have an assembly of with I made 2 supplementary vieuws (states) with the 2 cilinders in there 2 positions.

Then I had to change a position in one subassembly.

Everything went good until I saw the drawing with the 3 positions.

Rust was changed but Blokkeer and Verschuif did'nt.

Regenerate did not change a thing.

I had to make my 3 pictures all over again.

Is it possible to change Pro-e so that this extra work is'nt needed anymore?

You can see the PDF where it is already changed.

Regards

Chris

PS Don't look for details in the cilinders we buy them anyway, they are simplefied.

I've got one, how about the ability to enter units. Let's same I'm working in inches (default units) and I'm modeling up something with spec sheet is in milimeters, I'd like to be able to enter a number with nothing behind it and it go to the default units, say I enter 1.25 Pro/E would know 1.25 inches (the default units) but if I entered 1.25mm it would do the conversion for me, and I would have to type in 1.25/25.4 to make the units work. conversally, if my default units are in mm and I enter 1.25, the number is 1.25mm but if I type in 1.25" or 1.25in I get the number automatically translated (31.75mm)

This would make life a lot easier for those of us who constantly go back and forth between units

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks for your post Dan,

I have already signed up for the event. I think I have signed up multiple times. I am excited and look forward to the presentation.

I can't really imagine how it is going to redefine the way we think about CAD Design, but I am really interested in knowing. I wonder if I can interpret that to mean that this entire list is worthless.

The assembly files only works if them parts are in the same file or by a search path, sometimes i needd to work with one assembly or parts for a lot of projects search path is to slow for my PC

placement.jpg

the placement tab sometimes only for one reference. i think that could be place on the dashboard.

sharedata.jpg

copy and publish geometry is very usefull, deserves a place faster, in addition to the icon has already. I have some icons to fast acces but the geometry is placed as a text.

As far i remind of other issues. With my laptop sometimes i forget a 3 button mouse, it´s very difficult to model with only 2 buttons, i will like a comand for rotate with simple clic.

I think that would be really problematic to have the part locations stored in the part file or somewhere Pro/E could find them. Then, if Pro/E had to search a file structure everytime you opened an assembly, that could be really slow.

What your asking about seems to be a PDM (Product Data Management) System. PTC has several options for this. In my oppinion the best option is ProductPoint, especially if you are a small company that is used to server drive use.

I agree about the sketch placement drop down. That should definately be directly on the dash board without the added clicks to get to select the datum/surface you want to sketch on.

I would like to have 3D patterns. Currently I only have 2d patterns.

Also 3D curves.

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:rschaft)

Depending on exactly what you're talking about you can create those. It may not be accomplished in the way you are thinking it should be though.

I remember more while work; helical sweep it´s a very important tool, but still have old menu for do, what happend if on the future i need cut material, not a solid?, as blend, as sweep, when i started, this difficult my learning. I like a lot the new way to do explosions views, the old was complicated, this is what i want and my partners too.

dhart
1-Newbie

Changing colors on parts.

A simple right mouse click and selecting the color would eliminate opening the color menu,selecting the desired element, selecting the color, applying the color, then clicking OK. So you would select what you wanted to change first; feature, surface, part, subassembly and then chose color.

PatrickBrulot
5-Regular Member

The ability to add ProProgram code in the modeltree view. The program editor shows a lot of unnecessary details on models and especially features. Now you have to scroll up and down through pages of text and losing the overview.

Since Pro/E sometimes does not like having spaces in names and directories. I wish that the default loadpoint did not have them. I also wish that it did not have the period in the path either.

For Toolkit I know PTC has told me that I need to install Pro/E in a directory without spaces.

Here is the default install screen:

loadpoint.jpg

Could be something like C:\PTC\WF5 or, maybe a better idea. Get rid of the whole issue around having spaces in the filename.

It would also be nice if the default Startup Directory was not C:\Users\username\Documents. That creates a lot of stuff to be dumped in the documents folder. Which in turn clutters an already, usually, cluttered area.

It would be nice if it defaulted to: c:\Users\%username%\ProE. Then, it would change according to who was logged in and it would go to a Pro/E specific location.

startupdir.jpg

Then, include the option to install the ProductPoint client manager. Forgot to grab the screenshot, before I hit next.

Just my thoughts.

Amen to that! Pro is behind the times -- and competitors -- in not allowing spaces in file names.

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DavidButz)

And the 31 character limit would be nice to get rid of.

Top Tags