cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Re-using a preload step

346gnu
12-Amethyst

Re-using a preload step

Hi,

Take a bolted structure with fasteners preloaded and then subjected to many loadcases.

Contact interfaces making the problem non-linear. Using SPA. No changes to geometry and mesh re-used.

The first part of the calculation for each loadcase is identical.

Is there a way of re-using the solution to pass1?

This would better than halve the time. Studies I have just completed are 4 hours elapsed each.

Thanks

Charles

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, no; you'll have to re-run the preload phase for each different load case you want to look at.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:346gnu)

Hi Steven,

I thought that too. My SPA studies reach 6/7th order with the majority of the time (75% or there abouts) on Pass1 where the edge orders are all 3. Wouldn't increasing all edges to 7th order would make it much slower? I shall try it later and surprise myself. Besides, I can't anticipate all areas where the edges need to be a higher order for any particular load case.

We used to have a 'restart' function for MPA but not to select different loads before restarting; only changing plotting grids, max p-level, output tab checks and some others I never used.

We lost the restart function for MPA sometime ago. It's not even a mecbatch option that I've found.

I know SPA doesn't write intermediate results to disk like MPA.

Thanks

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:346gnu)

Steven,

No, this model cannot be shared.

Any trivial contact model will do to illustrate; fasteners are optional.

Thanks

Unfortunately, no; you'll have to re-run the preload phase for each different load case you want to look at.

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:sdensberger)

Thanks for your confirmation Shaun.

Top Tags