cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Remove _asm from step

Fianna
11-Garnet

Remove _asm from step

Hi all, 

I've got an odd workflow at the moment where I'm designing in Creo 6, exporting my assembly to step, importing into Fusion 360, and using Fusion 360 plugin to generate the BOM. 

Creo defaults to appending "_asm" to assembly files during the step export, so when I do the step import into fusion, I end up with my components all called "partnumber_asm" instead of "partnumber"

I'm opening the step file in notepad and doing a "replace all" to remove all of the "_asm" text strings but that's a bit of a faff.

Is there any way to configure creo to not append _asm to filenames? 

1 REPLY 1

I have bumped into this before - it is a bit odd.  In Creo 4 the export seems to have _# at the end of each exported file (at least when imported back into Creo.  A bit odd.

Exporting from Creo -> Fusion just to get a BOM export seems to be a long walk.   Hopefully you are using that in Fusion for something else also.

Shameless PLUG : We make a product specifically for that in Creo:

Nitro-BOM

The latest version also includes the ability to write BOM data directly to Excel Tables -and- create Power Query Connections to the Tables. (Excel 2016 and later for the Power Query auto connections). 

Once you have it in Excel Tables... you can do amazing things -- like automatically compute costs from external files, compare content structures, etc.   Nitro-BOM also allows bi-directional create/edit/delete of the parameter data in your Creo Assembly from Excel.

Here are a few common examples specific to BOM automation from Creo that you might find interesting:

Hope that is helpful... or inspires in some way.

Dave

Top Tags