cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

SUMMARY - Solid import from Inventor

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

SUMMARY - Solid import from Inventor

Please share the IDD tutorial links as we have had no luck wading
through the mystery icons an menu picks in the magic order to make
anything happen with IDD.

Doug Schaefer

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

Doug wrote:

"Please share the IDD tutorial links as we have had no luck wading
through the mystery icons an menu picks in the magic order to make
anything happen with IDD."

Thisdescribes my feelings quite accurately 🙂

Yes, any extra info on IDD would really be welcome!

Kind regards,
Jaap

My apologies, Doug - I should have added the link to my summary
originally.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the link! It'ssimilar to thetutorial that comes with Pro/E, but the pictures are more clear!

The problem that I have with IDD is that it often doesn't find gaps, (or it did, and I repaired the found gaps), but for some vague reason it still doesn't give me the Make Solid option. Mind you, our models are far more complex than the tutorial's example (large molded parts with lots of rounds and details).

I'm very confused about how to find what's still wrong when all gaps are closed, and Pro/E doesn't want to make it a solid. How to go on when this happens?? The Wireframe view gives me a chaotic picture with all kinds of colors, and it doesn't seem to give me useful information...

And if I do a ModelCheck, I get all kinds of warnings and errors, but none that give me a real clue... I tried several models, all with the same (non-) results.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Jaap

Hi Jaap

Trynew troubleshooter dialog boxin WF5

Radovan

<h1>Enhancement Details</h1><h2>Import Data Doctor Diagnostics Wizard</h2>

The Diagnostics wizard extends the Troubleshooter dialog box with a series of new error, warning, and informational geometry checks unique to the Import Data Doctor (IDD) environment.

<h4>Product Information</h4>ProductPro/ENGINEER
Product / ModulePro/ENGINEER Foundation XE
VersionWildfire 5.0Product Functional AreaImport Data Doctor
User Interface LocationIn Import Data Doctor, click Info > Geometry Checks. From the Troubleshooter dialog box, click Edit > IDD Settings.Processes and Initiatives

<h4>Benefits and Description</h4>

In the Import Data Doctor (IDD) environment, the Troubleshooter is asynchronous. You specify which geometry checks to perform and in some instances you also specify threshold values. The analyses and diagnostics are performed or updated when the Troubleshooter starts, settings are modified, or imported geometry is changed in the IDD environment. The diagnostics correspond to the active geometry in the following ways:

• The Troubleshooter analyzes the imported geometry and the list of resulting geometry checks appears in the Troubleshooter dialog box.
  • When you select an item in the Troubleshooter dialog box, the corresponding geometry highlights and there is a zoomed-in view of the problem. A description of the problem and suggestions on how to resolve it are provided.
  • You can right-click the identified problem in the Troubleshooter dialog box to select the problem geometry.

You can perform the following diagnostics:

1. Bad surfaces (concave domain or boundaries with parallel or almost parallel boundaries) (error)
  2. Bad two-sided edges (error)
  3. Bad wireframe curves (error)
  4. Poorly tessellated edges (warning)
  5. Small loops of one-sided edges (warning)
  6. Short one-sided edges (warning)
  7. Bad vertices (warning)
  8. Unsatisfied wireframe(info)
  9. Unsatisfied tangency (info)
  10. Gaps not added to wireframe (info).
  11. Almost tangent edges (info)
  12. Small surfaces (info)
  13. Narrow surfaces (info)
  14. Diagnostics 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, and 13 require that you specify some distance. Default values based on model accuracy are provided.

The Troubleshooter in Import Data Doctor helps you to focus on important geometry issues. Repair time is significantly reduced by providing immediate visual and instructional feedback for repairing the geometry check.

In Reply to jaap kramer:

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the link! It'ssimilar to thetutorial that comes with Pro/E, but the pictures are more clear!

The problem that I have with IDD is that it often doesn't find gaps, (or it did, and I repaired the found gaps), but for some vague reason it still doesn't give me the Make Solid option. Mind you, our models are far more complex than the tutorial's example (large molded parts with lots of rounds and details).

I'm very confused about how to find what's still wrong when all gaps are closed, and Pro/E doesn't want to make it a solid. How to go on when this happens?? The Wireframe view gives me a chaotic picture with all kinds of colors, and it doesn't seem to give me useful information...

And if I do a ModelCheck, I get all kinds of warnings and errors, but none that give me a real clue... I tried several models, all with the same (non-) results.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Jaap

Hi Jaap,

The final key to make my part solid was to change the part accuracy
(using Absolute accuracy).

You may also need to use the Solidify tool, but if you select the import
feature you will quickly see whether Solidify is available, or whether
it is still greyed-out.

I have no idea either about the Wireframe view within IDD, but if you
exit IDD and then exit the feature Redefine, the 'normal' wireframe view
should show you where any remaining gaps are - depending on your colour
scheme, they'll either be yellow or purple, I think. Sometimes you have
to look very closely!

I had some gaps that IDD wouldn't repair, so I had to delete the
surrounding surfaces and patch clean ones in...

Good luck!
Jonathan

Hi Radovan, Hi Jonathan,

thanks for the hints! I'll check them out!
Kind regards,

Jaap

Top Tags