cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Setting Default Font in Drawings Problem (pdf font conversion related)

NeilNorton
1-Newbie

Setting Default Font in Drawings Problem (pdf font conversion related)

Hello,

My company recently upgraded from WF2.0 to WF4.0 and we were pleased to find the built in Adobe file printer but quickly found that in printing the pdf's that a lot of the text formating was coming out wrong. It is most apparent with notes that are right justified, the pagination and spacing is all wrong. The default drawing text is 'font' and the pdf settings were to convert to true font. I played with it for a bit and found that if the font in the drawing was a true font, I used CG Triumvirate, then it would print the pdf perfectly. So my thought is to try and change the default drawing font to CG Triumvirate. I have been able to manipulate my settings and my config file so that when I create a new drawing it will indeed default to CG Triumvirate. The problem is that when I open up an existing drawing it still opens in the original font. My company has well over 40,000 drawings already in the PDM and we often create new drawings based off of old ones.

Is there any way to change the default drawing font to always open to a font of my choosing? It doesn't seem unreasonable to have a setting like this. I'm sure someone will suggest it, but I have already tried setting 'default_font' to 'CG Triumvirate', and to 'trium', all it does is set my menus to this font and it does nothing for the drawing font. I know that I could go to the menu and select all the text in the drawing and go to Format - Text Style and attack it from that direction, but I have a lot of designers in my group that will forget or will not bother and their drawings will come out not properly formated. If anyone has had this problem, or has a solution it would be greately appreciated.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Hello Neil,

as the font settigns are saved in the drawing properties, there's no way to change the font globally.

To me it also makes no sense to have a possibility to change the font globally. Just imagine when you have the font settings in your config.pro, each user might modify his config.pro and get other results than you when opening the drawing.

I would suggest to create a mapkey, that opens up a drawing and then change the font setting. Pass that mapkey to all users and they should use that.

Regards

Jens

Hello Jens,

All of our users use a standardized config.pro file and are not allowed to manipulate the file. What I am trying to say is that I would like a way to setup pro/e so that whenever I open an old drawing it will automatically import the text into the new font of my choice. But from what you are saying, the font settings are stored in the drawing properties for each individual drawing?

It seems odd to me that a macro is what is needed to do something that should be very straight forward and should be a standard setting within pro/e. I suppose this is what I'll have to do if I cannot find another answer.

Thank you,

Neil

Hello neil,

the default font is stored in the properties (.dtl-file) of the drawing.

To change the default font access the drawing options and there you can find the option default_font.

When you change that default_font, all your text that is set to default font will change.

As a mapkey I would recommend to first open the drawing, then access the properties, switch to the drawing options and load a proper .dtl-file. That's it.

Regards

Jens

Hello Jens,

I like your approach for the mapkey, its simple and it works.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil,

I think you can still use ProE font named 'font'. During PDF export set the option Stroke All Fonts (in Content tab in PDF Export Settings dialog box) and you will get what you need.

Martin

Martin Hanák

Hello Martin,

Yes you are right, this does in fact make everything the way it appears on the screen. We have already considered this, but we as a department are having a really hard time going back to this. Have you seen standard 'font' printed side by side with a truetype font? The difference is night and day. We never realized how hard on our eyes it was to check and read the standard font because it was all we knew, once we started with the truetype font no one in the department wants to go back. We each check each others work, we all check several dozen very detailed drawings each week and it is a huge strain off the eyes to be using the truetype fonts now.

Thank you for your input though,

Neil

Martin's solution works for Creo 4.0 as well.

My employer recently switched from Creo 3.0 to Creo 4.0 and our typical method of generating PDF's via 'Save As' function was changing the font type and screwing up tables because of it.

Top Tags