cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheetmetal coining? Summary

Highlighted

Sheetmetal coining? Summary

Hi Folks,
A couple more replies and all is explained. Assumption is the mother of all mistakes and I have made a big one here.

Yes it is possible to use Insert/Extrude with sheetmetal. I was being too cerebral in that I saw the cut icon was greyed out BUT this was because it was already selected. Thus if I had taken the next step it would have made the solid cut just as I wanted in the first place. In my defence I was not the only person in my company who was trying to do the same thing and making the same assumption.

As previously discussed on the exploder the opposite is true that it is not possible to make an extruded protrusion growing out of the sheetmetal thickness and that you really need to assemble extra thickness if required.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply.
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Mechanical Designer
Tait Electronics Ltd (www.taitworld.com)
New Zealand
Ph. +64 3 358 1093

Brent Drysdale wrote:Hi Folks,
I got some nice replies saying that this should be possible however when I try the basic Insert/Extrude then the cut icon is greyed out and I can't see any checkbox or the like to enable it. Maybe it is some config we have set or not set.
Anyhow I am told it works in WF2 M250 and in WF3 so I guess the workarounds have to suffice until we get to one of those.

Regards, Brent Drysdale
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Mechanical Designer
New Zealand
Ph. +64 3 358 1093

Brent Drysdale wrote:Hi Folks,
WF2 M160.
I am wondering if there is a standard method for doing a coining operation for stamping something like an earthing symbol into a sheetmetal thickness so that the material is locally thinned by the symbol profile. If I use a ProE sheetmetal punch then it wants to displace material out the other side of the sheet.

Of course I have found a couple of workarounds. One is to just use a sketch on the surface and show that for the symbol. The second method uses this sketch and makes an extruded capped end surface of the depth of the coining then I solidify the quilt to cut away material to show the coining. Note that it is not possible to just do an extruded solid cut in Sheetmetal.

Nonetheless it seems like it should be possible to do coining as a standard function so what am I missing?

--
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Mechanical Designer
New Zealand
Ph. +64 3 358 1093
This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended addressee. It is subject to copyright, confidential and may be the subject of legal or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this transmission. If the receiver is not the intended addressee, please accept our apologies, notify us by return, delete all copies and perform no other act on the email. Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or corrupted during transmission.