cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

SmartBOM For Those w/o Product Structure (BOM Embedded In Assembly)

3dzign
1-Newbie

SmartBOM For Those w/o Product Structure (BOM Embedded In Assembly)

I have fought this battle way too long! The BOM, logically should be inherent to the assembly!

I've recently hammered through this issue with it working the way it should have been working for a LONG time!

I state the obvious, that we modify parts using this technique. My point is that if an object is RELEASED it needs to be mod'd.

I've attached a PDF, I welcome any feedback, or if you have questions.

This is for those that do not utilize Product Structure or have a mechanism to connect the CAD Assembly to their PDM.

~Carey Hendsbee

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
3dzign
1-Newbie
(To:3dzign)

This is not an add-on, plug-in...or additional software. YET!

~CP Hendsbee

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:3dzign)

Carey,

Assembly level component parameters have been around for a long time (15+ years), and have been used for exactly what you're showing in your attachment. I actaully wrote up a requirements documentback in 2008for a toolkit program that would automate the process of assigning an assembly level component parameter "Find Number" to each component in an assembly. The "Find Number" parameter would then be used to populate the tables and balloons, and hopefully be usedto feedour PDM system. Unfortunately, we had other priorities for our $, so the program was never purchased.

Creo Parametric can now designate "component" parameters for Windchill to read/write, so it's now feasible to integrate your index/find numbers with Windchill byeither pushing the index from the model or pulling it from Windchill. I believe this is being investigated by PTC.

One other advantage to using the component parameter for the index number is the ability to assign different models the same index number. This is very handy for components that need a separate model created but have the same part number and index number. It's great for things like potting material filling different volumes in the same assembly, flexible items like lanyards, etc., and stock materials like bar/sheet stock used in weldments.

Regards,

Daniel Nordin
BAE Systems, Intelligence & Security
Engineering Tools MCAE Support Group
Nashua, NH 03061

Top Tags