cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Step files

bmozley
5-Regular Member

Step files

Creo Community,

In creating a step file, is there a way to create one such that there
are no parts in the model tree.

For an example, I have an assy with 4 parts, I merge them together as
one part, then open this part

and create a step file as -Solids, then when I open the step file, I'm
seeing the 4 parts in the model tree.

Alternatively, If I create a step file as -Surfaces, and open the step
file there are no parts at all.

I would like to be able to create a step file as a solid without showing
the part structure. Any ideas?

Brad

Creo 2 M040

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:bmozley)

You may very well be creating a single model in the step file. It's hard to say without looking at the actual export data. I think the issue you're running into has to do with re-opening that same file in Pro/Creo. By default, if Pro/Creo sees multiple bodies of geometry, it will assume it's an assembly and create a separate part for each one. You can force it to open the import data as a part, but if the different solid bodies touch at all, they will immediately become merged into one. Assuming your different parts aren't actually touching, try bringing the STEP file into an empty part. You will only have one feature, the import, but you should have 4 different bodies of solid geometry.

Tom U.
Top Tags