cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Strong dimensions changing my sketch

ptc-6739354
3-Visitor

Strong dimensions changing my sketch

Hello,

Background: I was uploading a step file into Creo from a supplier and it came in as surfaces so I basically remodeled it by using the surface edges and than deleting sketch references in order to make the new model independent. When I delete the references from the step file on my sketch, all the dimensions come in as weak as you'd expect. I would Ideally like to turn the selecter to "dimensions", select all of the dimensions and make them all strong, just as a good practice to only have strong dimensions in the model's sketches. When I have been doing this, the sketch alters itself as if the dimensions possibly round up and down and the sketch tweaks a little bit making it change from being almost a perfect replica of the surfaces from the step file. Has anybody ever had this problem and does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the strong dimensions to stay exactly the same as the weak dimensions (therefore keeping the sketch exactly the same)?

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

The problem is two-fold. One, you can set the sketcher dimension decimal places to something huge, say 12 because all dimensions are rounded when you traced your master model. once the relation went away, the weak dimensions revert to the current the number of decimal places as "exact".

The second issue is that geometry tends to facet with large arc and such and even though it looks like something changed, some operations provide a better resolution than other operations. This is particularly noticeable with large arcs or ellipses. When you use the "delete segment" tool in sketcher, the geometry faceting is refined significantly. Nothing changed except the presentation.

One thing you can consider is making a drawing of the quilt part and export DXF files for the orientations. You can import DXF into model space as curves and not be dependent on sketches. You can use these in the same way as you did before using projections in the extrude and revolve sections. Of course, this get you back to non-parametric data.

I find the overall means of collaborative data in Creo to be extremely cumbersome and significantly limited. Much of the real functionality that should be there is buried to some unknown level of success in costly extension modules. For me, it is actually better to purchase the native software to remain collaborative with colleagues. There is nothing worse than struggling in front of colleagues trying to prove Creo is compatible when in fact, it isn't.

Top Tags