cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Trouble Converting a .prt file to .stl file

eschlute
1-Newbie

Trouble Converting a .prt file to .stl file

I am doing summer research on breast cancer detection systems. I created a breast model (.prt) file but can't convert it to a .stl file in order to 3D print. Attached below is the STEP file of the original .prt file I am having trouble with. Please take a look to see if you can determine where I am having problems. Thank you!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The file was just a bit messy.

There is a gap between the "floor" and the tangent edge.

There is also an extra surface on the inside that somehow belongs to the spherical end.

Both of these issues will keep a surface quilt from solidifying.

Also remember that you need to merge surfaces to make them a fully enclosed quilt to get the solidify option.

Attached you will find a solid version of the model.

You cannot export STL files from surface models. By the same token, you cannot have a surface along the edges because the STL machine cannot make an infinitely thin sheet. If you need the surrounding "sheet", you need to thicken it to some value (.015 is probably minimum for STL).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The file was just a bit messy.

There is a gap between the "floor" and the tangent edge.

There is also an extra surface on the inside that somehow belongs to the spherical end.

Both of these issues will keep a surface quilt from solidifying.

Also remember that you need to merge surfaces to make them a fully enclosed quilt to get the solidify option.

Attached you will find a solid version of the model.

You cannot export STL files from surface models. By the same token, you cannot have a surface along the edges because the STL machine cannot make an infinitely thin sheet. If you need the surrounding "sheet", you need to thicken it to some value (.015 is probably minimum for STL).

I apologize for the late response, I was away from my school computer this weekend. But I wanted to say I really appreciate the solid model, thank you so very much! I was able to convert it into a .stl file no problem.

May I ask how you completed the model so that it become a solid?

Thank you again so very much!

No problem, Eric. Weekends are pretty quiet around here. I am glad it helped you move forward on your project.

I did a zero-distance offset of the individual surfaces and merged them. Once fully merged, I did not get a prompt to create a solid. This usually means the volume is not completely enclosed. I created a surface at the "tangent" end and merged that. This was enough to enclose the volume so a solid could be created.

Top Tags