cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Using Ghostscript to Convert PS to PDF

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Using Ghostscript to Convert PS to PDF

Creo 2, M230 on Windows 7, 64 bit

This is slightly off topic as it's mainly a Ghostscript question, but it's related to generating PDFs from Creo and I know that many here use Ghostscript.

At my former job I had used Distiller to create PDFs from PS output from Creo.  It worked well and bypassed the many issues I saw with the built-in PDF creation in Creo.  I'd like to do the same here, but we do not have Distiller available to all users.  I was looking at using Ghostscript, specifically the ps2pdf utility as a Distiller replacement, but I'm having no luck with it.  Unfortunately, the learning curve for GS is rather steep.

I've run the 64 bit GS installer and added a couple of install folders to my path statement and ps2pdf runs without error (I'm using the syntax "path/to/ps2pdf inout.ps output.pdf") but produces no output. 

Anyone have an idea what I'm missing to get this running?

Alternatively, anyone have a free or cheap means of scripting the conversion of a PS file to PDF like Distiller?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

in the past (ProE 2001 or older) I used these files...

ps_pdf.pcf ... this means printer configuration file

plotter POSTSCRIPT

button_name PDF

plot_destination file_and_printer default

plotter_command CMD /C c:\bin\tisk_PDF.bat

tisk_PDF.bat ... called from printer configuration file

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\usr\Ghostscript\gs8.51\bin;C:\usr\Ghostscript\gs8.51\lib

call ps2pdf.bat %1

del %1

MH

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

in the past (ProE 2001 or older) I used these files...

ps_pdf.pcf ... this means printer configuration file

plotter POSTSCRIPT

button_name PDF

plot_destination file_and_printer default

plotter_command CMD /C c:\bin\tisk_PDF.bat

tisk_PDF.bat ... called from printer configuration file

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\usr\Ghostscript\gs8.51\bin;C:\usr\Ghostscript\gs8.51\lib

call ps2pdf.bat %1

del %1

MH

Martin Hanák

I was assuming that I could hit ps2pdf.cmd directly by simply using "ps2pdf".  Changing it to use the batch file using "call ps2pdf.bat" fixed it.

Thanks!

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags