cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

how to copy a particular view from one file to another file

venkatapraveen
4-Participant

how to copy a particular view from one file to another file

Hello PTC Community!

I would like to copy a specific view from one drawing file to another drawing file.

NOTE: I am aware of "ADD MODEL" into the current drawing.

My requirement is only view should copy from one file to another without having any link between those files.

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

import data/drawing is to import sheets from other drawing or import dxf, dwg etc. imported drawing will appear on new sheet. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I also would like to learn about "drawing>insert>import data/drawing , copy from other drawing".Can anybody helps me with how to use these options with detailed explaination. It will be great help if you do so.Thanks in advance!

import data/drawing is to import sheets from other drawing or import dxf, dwg etc. imported drawing will appear on new sheet. 

Hello Mr.Mahesh,

Good to see your reply.Could you please explain how to "convert as draft entities".I really donno how to that.I strongly believe this is what can be the solution for my issue.

Have a good day!

In the layout tab, select the view you want to convert to draft entities, select the drop-down arrow next to Edit, then select Convert to draft entities.

convert.jpg

This will make the entire view into sketch type entities. With very few exceptions, I would never recommend this method.

I would import the sheet from the other drawing and delete any unwanted views and details.

I would copy the drawing using the import function and then delete 

@venkatapraveen 

You cannot copy standard Views from one drawing to another drawing. One of the possible option is to convert the view to draft entities and use "Copy from another drawing".

hi

you can only use overlay to add just a particular view from other drawings. 

Steps to follow:

from layout\insert, choose overlay-add overly -place views, then choose the file where the view exists, and choose the position to place the view in the new drawing.

Generally, it is better to keep it associated with the original file by keep them in the same folder. if not , the view do not show but it is still associated with the original drawing(2d and 3d).

if you want just a view like an image, make the view an image by copy/paste in app "paint", then layout/insert/image. the view not change with the original drawing, not relation between the two drawings.

or just rename the original files to keep them just for that particular view , nor relation with the original drawing anymore.

to import, not view added  but new sheet added.

Top Tags