cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

A couple of questions

JWayman
1-Newbie

A couple of questions

I wonder if anyone can refresh my memory. I can't find the answers using my friend Google, but I'm sure they have been answered before:

We are using WF4, by the way.

1. Why does a part regenerate twice when I hit regenerate? I know I should know the answer, but I forget... It's not usually noticeable, but I have a part with lots of text and a warp feature, so the regen process happens in slow motion.

2. When I import a sketch into sketcher, how does Pro/E decide what the default scale value should be? It seems to be a different, apprently random, number less than 1 every time. (supplementary Q: Is there a way to set the default?)

3. When I import a sketch into sketcher, why does it appear to 'snap' into positions as I drag it around? Where are these positions and how are they defined? For example, I dragged one in and dropped it on a 'snap' point and it added a grey dimension of 15.632456. (Same suplementary Q.)

I look forward to being reminded o the answers.

Cheers,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:JWayman)

#2...unfortunately you can not set that scale in a imported sketch I know of. Just a couple of days ago I kept wondering why my dimensions on my I-Beam wear wrong. Yup, the scale was just a little off and I didn't catch it initially. It's really sad that it doesn't simply defualt to 1 and then allow you to change it if necessary.

#3...You can set the snap point on the imported geometry by left mouse clicking on vertex's or points. The snap point will align or be concident to references but won't automatically add the constraints so that is why it adds the weak dimension to fully constrain the model. Another silly thing that is almost does right.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II

#2...unfortunately you can not set that scale in a imported sketch I know of. Just a couple of days ago I kept wondering why my dimensions on my I-Beam wear wrong. Yup, the scale was just a little off and I didn't catch it initially. It's really sad that it doesn't simply defualt to 1 and then allow you to change it if necessary.

#3...You can set the snap point on the imported geometry by left mouse clicking on vertex's or points. The snap point will align or be concident to references but won't automatically add the constraints so that is why it adds the weak dimension to fully constrain the model. Another silly thing that is almost does right.

#1) It is not neccessarily regenrating twice. It is performing two operations in the same feature.

I see that a lot with very large patterns. ...8724, 8725, 1, 2, ...8725

TomU
23-Emerald IV

#1) It may be regenerating twice if a later feature is changing something an earlier feature depends on. This can happen when a later feature is using relations to change a parameter value or earlier dimension.

31.PNG

When this occurs, Creo (Pro/e) will regenerate each feature twice and then stop. If there are still items that need to be regenerated again, an error message will be displayed.

30.PNG

It's been a long time since I messed with this, but if my memory is correct, this is the regeneration order:

1. Top Level Relations
  2. Each Individual Feature (top to bottom in the model tree)
    1. Feature Relations
    2. Feature Dimensions (except reference)
    3. Feature Geometry (sketches, etc.)
    4. Feature Reference Dimensions
  3. Each Individual Feature Again (if necessary)
  4. Displayed model geometry (including curves, etc.)

When you use Model Player, you are basically getting an extra step 4 after each feature regeneration instead of just at the end of the entire process.

Top Tags