cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Adding Datum Target to a Cylindrical Shape for Concentricity

jdurston
1-Newbie

Adding Datum Target to a Cylindrical Shape for Concentricity

Greetings Pro/E (Creo Pro?) Gurus,

After searching the forums and hitting my head against the wall, I am posting the following question:

I want to add a geometric tolerance for concentricity between 2 holes punched into two opposing holes on a bracket.

In all the references that I can find, the datum target should be shown on the cylindrical surface of one of the two holes (rather than the axis.)

Pro/E doesn't give me the option (apparently) to add a datum target feature to cylindrical surface. I can convert a datum plane or datum axis feature into a datum target (I also need to rename my features to "A", "B" etc.)

It does give me an option to attach my datum target on the datum axis to "dimension" or "geometry". When I select the button for "geometry", it doesn't appear to allow me to select anything. I can add it to a shown dimension, but not an annotation dimension.

What is the trick / method for getting it to the cylindrical surface without having to create a dimension? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

JD

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hey JD,

In my experience, using a hole for a datum means using an alignment pin during your setup.

Therefore, there is no difference between using a datum axis versus a cylindrical surface.

Pro/E would rather use the axis... Just let it have its way. It is technically correct, although you

could argue it either way all day long.

Best regards,

Frederick Burke

mjenkins
5-Regular Member
(To:jdurston)

Show the datum on your drawing. Right click on it and pick "In Dim". Pick the dimension that defines the cylindrical surface.

In Reply to Jonathan Durston:

Greetings Pro/E (Creo Pro?) Gurus,

After searching the forums and hitting my head against the wall, I am posting the following question:

I want to add a geometric tolerance for concentricity between 2 holes punched into two opposing holes on a bracket.

In all the references that I can find, the datum target should be shown on the cylindrical surface of one of the two holes (rather than the axis.)

Pro/E doesn't give me the option (apparently) to add a datum target feature to cylindrical surface. I can convert a datum plane or datum axis feature into a datum target (I also need to rename my features to "A", "B" etc.)

It does give me an option to attach my datum target on the datum axis to "dimension" or "geometry". When I select the button for "geometry", it doesn't appear to allow me to select anything. I can add it to a shown dimension, but not an annotation dimension.

What is the trick / method for getting it to the cylindrical surface without having to create a dimension? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

JD

Thanks Fred. I'll take your word for it that it is correct. It doesn't appear that I have a choice anyway.

Top Tags