cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Any ASME 14.1M drawing format creators in here?

dsteinweg
4-Participant

Any ASME 14.1M drawing format creators in here?

Hey guys,

I am setting up several metric drawing formats, and I am either missing something really simple (likely), or there is a blatant error (not likely) in the ASME 14.1M-2005 spec.

For the drawing sheet sizes, the corresponding sheet size values do not add up to the given zone and margin sizes. When you add up the values given, the vertical sheet dimension does not provide enough height to create the number of zones at the stated size.

For example, on the A1 size, the stated vertical dimension is 594 mm. It then states to have 12 zones of 50 mm (should be equal in the horizontal and vertical dimensions), plus the 2 margins of 20 mm, which combine for a total of 640 mm. It does say that the last zone can be a different size to accommodate the sheet size, but if we did 11 zones at 50 mm, we would come up with a total of 590 mm. So do I create a zone that is literally 4 mm wide for my 12th zone?

They provide a Figure 1 that shows what look like an even distribution of vertical and horizontal zone sizes, but if I blow up the picture and take a ruler to it, the initial zone A is shorter in the vertical direction (which seems to go against what they say in note (b) under Table 1.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dsteinweg)

One thing I noticed when I looked at ASME Y14.1 spec is that the edge zones include the margin space.

11.0" length has 2-5.5" zones, 8.5" length has 2-4.25" zones. Other sizes are multiples.

Then I looked at the ASME Y14.1M-1995 spec. Zones were variable length and within a few mm of the paper size. Like the English spec, the edge zones include the margin space.

See if applying your zoning with margins makes them easier to come closer to the full sizes. The A column and the top row may be smaller or larger to accommodate the 50mm spacing. The old spec said that zones may vary between 25 and 75 max to adjust for spacing, but all should be equal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

That is interesting!

Scaling a drawing in the scope of the spec for a spacing size is something that I would not trust to be a true representation of an actual format.

I checked the formats from a prior company that were metric and we did have the A column on the left and the 16 row on the top at a larger than the 'standard' zoning size of 50mm.

The zoning was from format edge to edge after subtracting the 10 or 20 margin sizes.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

One thing I noticed when I looked at ASME Y14.1 spec is that the edge zones include the margin space.

11.0" length has 2-5.5" zones, 8.5" length has 2-4.25" zones. Other sizes are multiples.

Then I looked at the ASME Y14.1M-1995 spec. Zones were variable length and within a few mm of the paper size. Like the English spec, the edge zones include the margin space.

See if applying your zoning with margins makes them easier to come closer to the full sizes. The A column and the top row may be smaller or larger to accommodate the 50mm spacing. The old spec said that zones may vary between 25 and 75 max to adjust for spacing, but all should be equal.

dsteinweg
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks for this answer.

I think I was interpreting the spec wrong and assuming that the zones needed to be square, but based on the Y14.1 spec, it seems at though this does not hold true. All that holds true is the zone dimensions are held constant in the horizontal and vertical values except for the left and upper zones can change to accommodate the sheet size.

Thank you!

Top Tags