cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Anyone from PTC... help?

CBenner
5-Regular Member

Anyone from PTC... help?

Why in the world, when "improving" the drawing mode for WF5, did PTC take away the ability to "insert" a sheet in the middle of a drawing set and automatically move all the other sheets forward as needed. In the new release, (and this is verbatim from the Help Center): The new sheet is always added at the end of existing sheets within the current drawing, and the new sheet becomes the active sheet. Moving the sheet later will put it in the location you specify, but does not rename and automatically shift the other sheets... you have to do that yourself. In a drawing with over 30 sheets, where I want to add a sheet at page 3.... this means a lot of sheet renaming. Extra, un-needed work.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
4 REPLIES 4
WillyC
1-Newbie
(To:CBenner)

You should take advantage of ProE's system parameters for drawings. Place the following in a table on your format. &current_sheet OF &total_sheets These parameters basically read and display the total number of sheets in a drawing file, numbering them according to their position. All automatic. You might have to experiment a little but it's worth the effort. You will never renumber a drawing sheet again. Hope this helps.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:WillyC)

Willy, I do have that already, I'm not talking about MY sheet number in the format or titleblock, but rather the sheet set number assigned by PTC on the bottom of the screen in WF5... picture "workbook" tabs in Excel. WF4 and previous had the pages in a scrollbox at the top if the screen, and inserting a new page anywhere in a sheet set automatically shifted forward, and renumbered the sheets after the inserted page. That info would then filter down to our format accordingly and fill in the titleblock. Not so anymore.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
WillyC
1-Newbie
(To:CBenner)

Sorry, Chris. I wasn't sure I understood the problem but figured I'd fire that out there. I know so many users that don't use many of the tools they pay for. I'm still scared of WF5. And the more I read in these forums, the more lovingly I embrace my fear. Did you look for a config option that might make this renaming behave more rationally? Just a thought.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:WillyC)

Actually, no I haven't. I will when I can catch a break here. As for WF5, you are right to be afraid. There are many features I would call genuine enhancements that make life easier. However, there are other things they tried to improve that they should have left well enough alone. The "ribbon" in detail mode.... sucks. No other way to put it.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
Top Tags