cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Anyone have success accessing an Excel file that is a hyperlink in a 3D Note?

dplachinski
6-Contributor

Anyone have success accessing an Excel file that is a hyperlink in a 3D Note?

I can add the link without issue. When I try to access the url (excel) sheet, I get two warning messages saying that Excel cannot find the file, then it opens it in read only mode.

dplachinski_0-1602184946953.png

6 REPLIES 6

I should mention, I have tried a hyperlink of a MS Power Point, MS Word, and a JPEG. All work fine. The issue seems to only exist with Excel.

Thanks for the response.

I read those articles as well. However, there are eluding to the path of the file being too long. As you can see from the error image, my file is located in C:\temp. Therefore, that can not be the issue. This still doesn't explain why the excel file eventually opens up in "read only" mode.

@dplachinski wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I read those articles as well. However, there are eluding to the path of the file being too long. As you can see from the error image, my file is located in C:\temp. Therefore, that can not be the issue. This still doesn't explain why the excel file eventually opens up in "read only" mode.

Hi,

I can reproduce your problem. I suggest you to open Case at PTC Support and discuss the problem with them.

Workaround:

I followed information from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31472397/open-excel-file-through-normal-html-link page:

a.] I created E:\tmp\x.html file

<html>
    <head />
    <body>
        <a href="file:///E:/tmp/my_excel.xlsx">Click</a>
    <body>
 <html>

b.] I created E:\tmp\my_excel.xlsx file

c.] I created hyperlink in a 3D Note ... file:///E:/tmp/x.html

d.] now after 3 mouse clicks I can see Excel window showing my file

Note: I had to remove windows_browser_type chromium_browser option from my config.pro.

Martin Hanák

Thanks for the response.

I have opened up case 15580742. However, I thought the community would give me an answer much quicker than support. It is easy for them to point the issue to Microsoft and not look into it any further.

Thanks. That seems to be a great work around. I can open the Excel file and edit it. 

Lets hope PTC support will come up with a fix.

Top Tags