cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Appearance states as family table?

pzago
5-Regular Member

Appearance states as family table?

Let me try to explain my question: in Creo now you can use "appearance states" to define different color combinations for the same part or assembly.

Let's say I have this assembly plastic_man_toy which is made of two parts: plastic_man_body and plastic_man_head. Now I can open the assembly and create two states of appearance, for example one with red body and blue head, and one with yellow body and green head.

Now let's say I want to create a third assembly where two plastic_man_toy are assembled. Is there a way to change the appearance of each assembly independently, choosing from one of the two I created at assembly level? Right now if I change the appearance of the assembly it is applied to all the instances of the same assembly in the scene. Maybe a way to add the appearance state to a family table?

2 REPLIES 2
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:pzago)

I think the answer is "no."

It's been a long time requested feature but as far as I know PTC hasn't produced a generally useful solution.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&q=color%2Bfamily%2Btable

pzago
5-Regular Member
(To:dschenken)

dschenken wrote:

It's been a long time requested feature but as far as I know PTC hasn't produced a generally useful solution.

I've always followed theses threads and, as you say, there's never been a proper answer from PTC. As I saw the implementation of appearance states I thought this was going to be the definitive answer to my question, but as it stands appearance states are useless once you put more instances of the part/assembly in another assembly Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, or integrate with family tables...

Top Tags