cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Are Creo and Pro/E Wildfire 2.0/3.0/4.0 compatible?

ptc-4311596
1-Newbie

Are Creo and Pro/E Wildfire 2.0/3.0/4.0 compatible?

Hi All,

I'm not actually a Creo or Pro/E user yet, and am just researching options to help me make a buying decision, but strangely, it was very difficult to find anywhere on the PTC website where I could actually just send someone an email and ask a question. So I'm asking it here.

To elaborate on the subject line: can I save drawings from Creo into Pro/E Wildfire 2.0/3.0/4.0 formats, and can Pro/E Wildfire 2.0/3.0/4.0 drawings be opened in Creo?

Thanks,

Benson

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Benson,

Creo is the new name given to Pro/E with additional functionalities and few new modules.

Creo 1.0 is the latest version of Pro/E.Before Creo 1.0, it was Pro/E Wildfire 5.0.

You can open lower version files of Pro/E say WF 5.0,4.0,3.0,2.0,1.0......on Creo 1.0.

But latest version files can't be opened on Lower Version of Pro/E.

I hope this gives the answer to your query.

Thanks

Hemlata

Thanks Hemlata,

That answers the second half of my question. But when you say "latest version files can't be opened on Lower Version of Pro/E", just to clarify, does that also mean I can't use the "save as" function in Creo 1.0 and save them (or export them, whatever you want to call it) as Pro/E WF2/3/4/5 files?

Benson

Hi

Generally Pro-e or creo do not give options to export or save as to lower version

But

GRANITE-based Cross-Release Interoperability for Pro/ENGINEER

Gives some options to open higher versions in lower version

But do not consider it to be 100% editable one.

Regards

K.Mahanta

Hi Benson...

Mr. Mahanta has it correct. Don't bother with the "Granite Based Cross Release Interoperability". It's more of a hassle than it's worth.

Newer releases of Pro/E (and Creo) can always open the older ones. With limited exception, you can't go the other way around. Wildfire 2 isn't going to open Wildfire 4 parts. As the software matures and gets better, you can't go back. New features are always being added that didn't exist in earlier versions.

The best you can do is export a STEP or other solid model file and re-import it back into an earlier version of Pro/E. This will preserve the size/shape of the model but all intelligence will be lost.

If you're looking to jump into Pro/E, evaluate any customers you have,. If they need Wildfire 3 models, jump in there. If your customers aren't using Pro/E... or if they just want a "dumb" STEP model or other solid model format, go with Wildfire 5.0 (Creo Elements Pro/5.0). This is the latest, most stable platform to work from.

Personal advice... don't go with Creo 1.0 yet. It's too new and there are still some kinks being worked out. Starting with Creo Elements Pro/5.0 (formerly called Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0) is the best bet in my opinion.

thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags