cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

As a drawing view may get larger, all annotations with leaders should not move

pete3000
7-Bedrock

As a drawing view may get larger, all annotations with leaders should not move

If you have ever increased a model/assy size and your drawing view gets larger, all your leader notes end up moving around.  The annotation should be placed relative to its "picked location" and stay with that location over time.  It should not move if your drawing view gets larger.  This needs to be fixed as it is more intuitive then stuff moving around just because your view extents got larger.

5 REPLIES 5
mender
6-Contributor
(To:pete3000)

We've been contemplating an alternative parameterization for detail item location for many years, but it's a serious bit of work to implement.  I imagine there is a Product Idea for it, you should get people to vote that up if you are interested in showing the level of customer interest in this.

pete3000
7-Bedrock
(To:mender)

I couldn't find a product idea, nor could I figure out how to submit this as an idea.  New users can definitely see how this is frustrating.  I know after using the software since 1994, its very annoying!

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:mender)

It would be fine to unparameterize the detail item locations unless specified. This has been an ongoing drawing maintenance problem and is a bigger pain than automatically showing set datums for no reason. It takes more work to overcome the bad assumptions used to move the items than it does to just correct for the few cases when moving detail items is required.

I've had drawings look like an explosion occurred because someone five subassemblies down added a datum point miles away from everything. Even though I religiously fix the view origins, the automatic rescaling scatters items to the wind. The closest fix is to create partial views to force the view boundaries to stay the same size, but of course that doesn't include simple polygons, so hundreds of clicks may be required to get the spline to dodge around the geometry. And if the model has a legitimate change I get to redo the boundaries all over again. I could also crowd the surface of the drawing with snap lines. A few hundred of them to mix in after the fact to nail things down.

Or just not have the locations be view extents dependent, like would make the most sense.

I, too, have this problem:

in the first capture I have all set in place

-in the second one only the butt joint plane changed from 45deg to 78deg and disaster stroke.

The thing that amase me (in a negative way) is how the snap line on the right view is affected (I could understand because is probably attached to a 3D datum) BUT how the extension line of the 30-30.5 dimension acts: it goes all way UP!! Do you have any explanation?

how the view bounderies are defined anyway?

Thanks,

Nic.

PS. Do you have any tips for my case: the geometry changes from product to product in an extended range of values (including width and diameters)

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:pete3000)

Add a way to prevent views from moving after changes

Is somewhat similar to your request. It definitely details the problem even though the idea wasn't specifically about detail items moving.

I definitely feel your pain. It can sometimes take hours, if not days, to fix a drawing that has view boundary changes.

With respect to product ideas:

To make a new idea, in the CREO community (not a sub-level like modeling), click the create a product idea link

Top Tags