cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Assembly Cut and the Damage Done

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Assembly Cut and the Damage Done

Hi all!

Please see attached.

Read notes in PDF.

Anyone ever deal with this?

This is not isolated to just this case. It can be duplicated from scratch.

Thanks,

Wayne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I attached video showing appropriate steps ...

Attention!!! Part mass properties are fixed for ever, any geometry modification does not cause a change in weight.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:wfalco)

Don't add any columns to your family table that will change based on the effects of the assembly level cut (like calculated mass.)

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

This is in fact a solution. However, our standards call for the use of these at the moment. Thanks.

One thought I had was to somehow make the one part weight = to the others via a relation. I am not sure how to write that?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Realize that assembly cuts create "hidden" family tables out of the affected components which means for the purposes of the repeat region these are unique models with different masses.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Yeah. I was actually helping someone out with this. I have never had this situation. This is news to me. Thanks.

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

Overall, if you mean for that cut to exist in the actual part rather than only in the context of the assembly, then I would avoid using an assembly cut. Assembly cuts only affect the particular component placement that it directly cuts. You can use the options in the cut to have it affect that actual part and then in your example they both would have the hole but in general that's where I'd try to avoid the assembly cut to begin with.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:rreifsnyder)

I am helping someone out with this. For whatever reason, they have the need to machine in the finished assembly. I do agree assembly features in general come with issues. Thanks.

@wfalco wrote:

Hi all!

Please see attached.

Read notes in PDF.

Anyone ever deal with this?

This is not isolated to just this case. It can be duplicated from scratch.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi,

in part properties you can change the method how its weight (and other properties) is obtained. By default weight is calculated by Creo (in this case your two components have different weight). You can set part mass properties to fully assigned, this means that you assign fixed value to mass parameter (in this case both components have the same weight and in repeat region they "fall" into the same row).

Martin Hanák
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:MartinHanak)

Sounds interesting. I am not sure how to do this. I can send you my little sample drawing if that helps?

No problem, send it.

Martin Hanák
wfalco
15-Moonstone

Hi,

Attention!!! Part mass properties are fixed for ever, any geometry modification does not cause a change in weight.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

Martin Hanák
wfalco
15-Moonstone

Wow. Your alright man. Nice job. I need to go try this. Did you save the drawing after the changes? That may help. I actually have to pass this on to another person. Thanks so much Martin! Or did I see someone call you Hank?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hi,

I do not have Creo 4.0 M020 installed. Therefore I can't send you the results of my modification. Try reproducing modification using video, it is quick and easy.

Martin Hanák
wfalco
15-Moonstone

It worked! No need to send files back. Awesome. Now I need to understand what/why it works.

Thanks you again!

I have to figure out how to download your video.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I have to figure out how to download your video.

Click the little arrow after ".mp4".

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Tom,

It's a good thing I have multiple browsers installed. No arrow on IE! Works in FireFox.

Thank you sir. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Wayne

TomU
23-Emerald IV

What version of Internet Explorer?  I just tried in IE 11, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox and it shows up in all of them.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

See attached pic.

Our settings are globally controlled - so...

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Odd.  This is the version I have.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Yeah...Idunno. Gotta be in the setting I spose.

Top Tags