cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Assembly sketch reference dimension yields incorrect value

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Assembly sketch reference dimension yields incorrect value

I am having trouble with an assembly sketch. This sketch is driving a part length and all I have done is set the part length equal to the reference dimension.

But in this case, the dimension in the sketch will not update/regenerate.
And the interesting thing is that this has worked on every other sketch driven part with the exact same type of set up.
I will attach a couple of pictures so you can see what I mean.
oh and also when I edit definition the "modify dimensions" pop up window is displayed.

pic of sketch.JPG

in the picture above you can see that the measurement is evaluating at 75.3995. while the reference dimension, that is to drive the part length, is 59 1/2"

edit definition of sketch.JPG

in the picture above you can see that when I edit definition of the sketch I am prompted to "modify dimensions"

if I click OK and then finish the sketch it will update and the part will become the correct length.

but if the bays change size again I would have to go through this process again.

any tips or advice would be appreciated.

thank you,

-Joe

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Have a look if you have the following option set up in your config.pro:

sketcher_animated_modify yes

Look into part flexibility rather than using a relation. It's under the component placement menu, or right click on the family table and "Make Flexible". It will let you change many aspects of a part, including dimensions, and you can either set it with a fixed value, or use the pull down to select Distance, which then lets you make two geometry picks to drive the length dimension.

It is very reliable. It also needs to be repeated for each time the part  is assembled and has some memory overhead.

However, it can also use the same original part in multiple lengths in any assembly or within the same assembly.

What is likely in your method is that you need to regenerate twice. The first time causes the sketch to be updated and the dimension updated with it, but it doesn't do this before the part is regenerated. The second time the part is regenerated using the last and now updated value for the dimension.

Top Tags