cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

BOM Table QTY Multiplied by Top Level Assembly Parameter

JADEN_9797
4-Participant

BOM Table QTY Multiplied by Top Level Assembly Parameter

Hello All,

I am trying to multiply the quantity of components in a BOM tables based on a parameter from the top level assembly.

I usually do this by repeat region -> relations then clicking my BOM table. I add the following under relations;

TOTAL =rpt_qty * X                   Where X is a dumb value I type in eg 7.

I then right click on the first instance in the bom table -> Properties and replace the text to;

&rpt.REL.TOTAL

This works quite well but now I want to take it a step further and instead of manually entering a dumb value, I would like the relation to pull a value from the top level assembly. I noticed the Insert parameter name from list button is grayed out while I edit the repeat region relation, but by being able to enter a dumb value to multiply by, surely there is a way to create the link I need.

When I try add a parameter from any level assembly, I receive an invalid symbol error, as if the relation doesn't go looking for the directed value.

Any help would be muchly appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

Try this:

1. Open your part and add a parameter QTY_MULTIPLIER with a value of 7
  2. Open the drawing of your assembly, and open the relations of your repeat region.
  3. Now add a parameter ASM_MBR_QTY_MULTIPLIER
  4. Change your rellation to:  TOTAL =rpt_qty * ASM_MBR_QTY_MULTIPLIER

That should pull the value of QTY_MULTIPLIER from the part.

You can change the value of QTY_MULTIPLIER from your part. If you want to control it from your assembly, you can use EXECUTE STATEMENTS to drive the input parameters of your part.

JADEN_9797
4-Participant
(To:HamsterNL)

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that wont be suitable for my application, I want to avoid adding a parameter to each individual part. This is because I use the same part in multiple assemblies, eg bolts. 

Ideally I'd like to create a link between the region relations and an assembly parameter. The region is on a drawing of the assembly I'd like to pull parameter value from.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:JADEN_9797)

Repeat region relations can not change or impact model (or drawing) parameters.  They only affect the data in the repeat region itself.  The assembly can never be a child of (dependent on) the drawing.

Maybe it would be good to step back and ask why you need to fake the component quantity.  There may be other/better solutions available.

JADEN_9797
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback.

I only want the repeat region relations to be impacted by a model parameter, not the other way around.

I need to fake the BOM Qty totals as I sometimes need to fabricate more than 1 of an assembly. The top level assembly is made of many parts and assemblies. 

Instead of adding a note on the drawing to multiply the BOM Qty by however need to be made (eg 10), I have the BOM show the Qty needed to make 10 of the assembly. This removes the risk of someone not multiplying correctly when stock is allocated

@JADEN_9797 wrote:

I need to fake the BOM Qty totals as I sometimes need to fabricate more than 1 of an assembly. The top level assembly is made of many parts and assemblies. 

Instead of adding a note on the drawing to multiply the BOM Qty by however need to be made (eg 10), I have the BOM show the Qty needed to make 10 of the assembly. This removes the risk of someone not multiplying correctly when stock is allocated

If that's the case, you could create a "production assembly" where you insert your actual assembly, and create a pattern with 10 instances/members.

Here's a similar request (with some great suggestions), but sadly no solution

Using drawing parameters in repeat region relations

JADEN_9797
4-Participant
(To:HamsterNL)

Hi Hamster,

Thanks for the link, very interesting read but that seems like a deep rabbit hole which may not work in the end, plus I would need to learn some coding. At this stage I think I'll chalk it up to not being able to be done.

I read further and someone mentioned using Assemble -> include may work for a similar situation. I thought of using this, then patterning the include feature and linking that to a parameter, but it seems I'd need an upgraded licence to use include.

Top Tags