cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

BOM baloons show wrong item number

csmith-7
1-Newbie

BOM baloons show wrong item number

I create a parameter for each component in an assembily on the assembily level called "BUBBLE". This number goes in order of the parts assembled. For example, part 1 gets a "1" and part 2 gets a "2" and if part 3-6 are the same part, I give them all "3" and so on. I do this because I do not want ProE to automatically group all same parts together. For example, the same bolt is used in two different patterns in two different places and I want it to have two different bubble numbers (one for each pattern of bolts). I change my table in my assembily drawing to pull the number from "asm.mbr.cparam.BUBBLE" (the location of this number I've created. I then change my baloons to pull from that parameter. This works until I get to the second time a part is used (this part has a different "BUBBLE" number). My bubble shows the number from the first set. For example, I have two patterns of the same bolt, one has 6 bolts (part number 12345) that have the "BUBBLE" parameter "5" and then 19 components later the other pattern has 12 bolts (part number 12345) that have the "BUBBLE" parameter "24". When I create a bubble for those components they show "5" no matter what. I can not even get a baloon to show up with a "24" in it. I can get the next 25 bubbles to show up just fine. It just skips 24 and says that it has created every baloon. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Hi

Just a question

Why dont you try for BOM ballon with qty

This will give you an additional option to show your hardware at multiple location with different qty

I think your basic need will be fulfilled(to show hardwares at different location)

To add additinal balloon at different part after formal ballon creation

Go to

BOM Balloon

Create balloon

by component

Now pick the part at different location

(If following BOM Ballon with qty it will ask for qty to show)

Regards

K.Mahanta

Thank you for your response. This will not work for my situation. The main reason why I need the same parts to have different bubble numbers is incase we change a bolt somewhere. If I have two different location using the same bolt (same bubble number) and I change a bolt size (new part number) at only one location, the bubble numbers will change and this will mess up the BOM.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:csmith-7)

About BOM items and bubble numbers changing:

You can fix the BOM, or Repeat Region, so that the position of items in the table do not change. Part 1 will always be 1, 2 will be 2, etc. no matter how many items you add, and, most importantly for you case, no matter how many bolts you replace.

Also, when you want to replace something in the assembly you should right-click on the part and choose Replace. This will give the new part the same item number in the BOM as the part that it is replacing.

Thank you. I am aware of this and I do this, however in this case it still does not fix the problem. If I change the bolt later on, the new bolt gets a new bom number, I then have to add that bom number to the BOM in my management system and create new pictures and new tables in the installation manual. If the part already has it's own number from the beginning it saves a bunch of time down the line.

I ended up getting it to work by going to wildfire4 M050 (was on M180) and deleting the part from the assembily then readding it then deleting the drawing and creating a new one. I believe this is a bug.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:csmith-7)

Create a manual BOM table with no repeat region, that way, you can do anything you want as it's just text. Why you'd want to do anything like this is beyond me, but......

Top Tags