cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Best way to copy sketch to new part?

SamLamb
1-Newbie

Best way to copy sketch to new part?

Hello,

I've been wondering what the best way to copy a sketch from an old part to a new part is. I've had situations in the past where I wanted to copy a sketch of a detailed hole layout to another part and I've tried using a simple copy and paste but it doesn't keep all the dimensions exactly like the old sketch had. For example, I had a control panel layed out and one of the engineers wanted to add some holes to it for more components. Well, the panel I had layed out wasn't big enough to have the extra holes added to it while still being asthetically pleasing. So, I had to make a bigger panel and copy the sketch over to it. When I did this, it left out all the "strong" dimensions I had put into it plus many other little things which ended up costing me a lot of extra time to get it back into shape. Is there a better way to do this? If so, please let me know how I should do this. Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam Lamb

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey Sam,

Here's another idea for copying sketches, and it enables you to store the sketch for easy use at any time. You can use the Sketch Palette. Here's a link to a video tutorial:

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/198/increase-sketch-productivity-with-sketch-palette

Let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Emil
1-Newbie
(To:SamLamb)

Use copy and then start new part and then paste special

Hi Sam

I use a different way to copy ; But I can not say that it is the best practice

What I do to copy a sketch with large nos. of entities

1. Make ceterlines on the reference planes.

2. remove the default reference planes

3. Make the centerlines horizntal and vertical respectively

4. Make all the dimensions strong with reference to centerlines

Now all the entities are free from the plane reference

Then I copy and paste the sketches

this process helped me many times

Hope this would help you too

Hey Sam,

Here's another idea for copying sketches, and it enables you to store the sketch for easy use at any time. You can use the Sketch Palette. Here's a link to a video tutorial:

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/198/increase-sketch-productivity-with-sketch-palette

Let me know if this helps.

Steven,

Thanks, that method worked great. It seems to be the most organized way of doing it. One question I have is: What is the best way to accurately locate the old sketch onto the new part? My guess would be to use a point located in the exact center of the old sketch and also have a point on the new sketch that I can use to attach the old sketch to.

Top Tags