cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Bom Param Substitution

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Bom Param Substitution

Greetings,

On Creo 4.0 M020

How do I write a relation in a for....?

I have an assembly with many parts. Some parts have different parameters than others. The information I need is in the files. Just called something different.

For example:

123.prt parameter = description_1

456.prt parameter = title_1

Instead of editing all files. I would like the assembly drawing bom relations to say something like:

asm_mbr_description_1 = asm_mbr_title_1.

I tried above. It changes the bom. But not the way I hoped for. I reversed it. Not what I wanted either. I basically want it to flag all "description_1"'s and have them show up in my "title_1" repeat region. So - substitution.

What is the proper way to write this.

Thanks,

Wayne

13 REPLIES 13
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:wfalco)

/* Put this is the repeat region relations.  (You may have to manually add both of these parameter names to the parameters list at the bottom of the relations editor first.)

DESCR = ""

IF EXISTS("asm_mbr_title_1")

DESCR = asm_mbr_title_1

ELSE

IF EXISTS("asm_mbr_description_1")

DESCR = asm_mbr_description_1

ENDIF

ENDIF

Now change the repeat region parameter for that table cell to rpt.rel.DESCR

Note:  I haven't actually tested this syntax in Creo, I just typed in directly in this response.  There may be typos...

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

Tom, Not sure I follow:

"You may have to manually add both of these parameter names to the parameters list at the bottom of the relations editor first."

I did the other steps and I don't think it's complete?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

If you verify the relations and they gripe, just manually add the parameters first.  I just tested and it didn't gripe, so you should be okay.

Repeat Region Relations.png

wfalco
15-Moonstone

No gripes here either.

But it's not showing up in bom.

Is attached correct?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Looks right...  You did add it to the correct row, right?  Can you upload the table as an attachment?

wfalco
15-Moonstone

I put in description. Gotta bare with me. I only know enough to be dangerous with relations.

I have uploaded table. Nor sure if it is of value without parts?

I had to change extension for this to send. Please rename to .tbl.

Tx

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Don't go crazy over this. I may just update the files as required just so they can be used again. But this is something good to know.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Tom's method should do what you need to solve the BOM issue.

What you really need to do is fix the start_part.prt template file so it has the proper parameter. Then all future files will have only 1 description parameter. Also educate your users as to which description parameter is the new valid one so they only use that one. If these are older files being saved-as, instruct the users to create the new parameter and cut and paste the old value to the new field, then delete the old parameter.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

I don't use it (yet), but I believe Model/Check can automatically rename these old parameters when it encounters them...

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Perhaps. We have it. But it may need to be set up for it. I am not that familiar with it. Have not used in some time. thanks again!

wfalco
15-Moonstone

I hear you.

Well, what happened was this...

We contracted out work to be done entirely at another company. They did it their way. We are now partially redesigning and the new stuff we have used our standard parameters. So....we have a mixed bag. I am thinking of adding our parameters and leaving theirs. This way they can still have theirs present if we give them back files. technically they own the files. It's a CFk. If they ever used ours they'd have to add their 's in...lol.

Thanks Ben,

Wayne

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Been there, done that!

Where I used to work, we sub-contracted a machine design to our corporate India subsidiary to design. Gave them instructions on what parameters to use, modeling standards, etc. When the shipped the design package back, we hade to spend about 5 hours per drawing to correct the parameter mistakes and modeling errors that were obvious. In the end we were not sure we saved anything on that project.

After that we brought the India engineers to the US for a six-nine month in-house 'training' session to learn better how we did our designs and learn how to use our software add-on tools.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

yup. but...I have a lot less say. LOL.

Top Tags