cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

CREO View on iPad

rgoethals
1-Newbie

CREO View on iPad

Has anyone had success opening a .pvz file using the CREO View mobile app on an iPad?

The .pvz file I am testing with is 25MB and is located on BOX.com (cloud-based storage).

I get the iPad equivalet to an hourglass in the CREO View mobile app.

Thanks.

Rick

9 REPLIES 9
slapha
15-Moonstone
(To:rgoethals)

I've been able to open multiple PVZ files, even one that was 23.1MB. Though I opened them through adding directly through iTunes and a USB cable. Email worked as well for smaller models.

What version was used to generate the .pvz files for use with CREO View mobile app?

I am using an older 9.0 version of ProudctView to generate the .pvz files.

I also tried the file copy of the .pvz file to the iPad using iTunes and a USB cable, but the file still does not open using CREO View mobile.

Hi Rick

pvz is a zip file.

Can you confirm that if you unzip the file, you have inside a .pvs file and one or more .ol files.

pvz size is only limited by memory on the device - i've loaded over 26Mb pvz without issue.

i've just tried a 57MB pvz of a multi-thousand part machine. all we need is for the tool to have more functionality than spin and smash. i hope to hear this app has a future, i think the tablet would be a great design process aid if apps such as these did things closer to that of the real app.

The demo data has display states to the left of the 3D view, that you can click on to show different sub assemblies and display styles.

How do I get my PVZ files to do the same? I've created different display styles in Creo Parametric, but they do not show on the Ipad.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to get views automatically in CREO View iPad after saving as .PVZ?

Thank you.

the app is processing pvz annotation states [partly]. While i have the ability to open our pvz data in Creo View MCAD professional and then save as from that, i too am interested to see if the productview recipe file in the Creo install can be configured to automatically output the annotation states such that they are 'converted' to pvz annotation states. If anyone gets that to work please post back to this forum to save me some check time tonight.

I too was looking for ways to export views to the app and came across this posting. I finally got this to work with Creo Parametric 2.0 Datacode M040 and Creo View Mobile Version Creo 2.0 Datecode M011 (it may work with others versions but I have not tried). If you are running a different version of Creo Parametric and/or a different datecode, you will need to adjust the paths below.The following are the steps:

Create Customized PVZ Export Recipe Files

(1) copy C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M040\text\prodview\export_pvs.rcp to <folder>\export_pvs_mobile.rcp

where <folder> is a local folder (e.g. C:\Users\Guest\My Documents)

(2) copy C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M040\apps\prodview\recipe\pvsthumb.rcp to <folder>\pvsthumb_mobile.rcp

You can skip Steps (1) and (2) if you have administrator access to the above files and would like to modify them directly. You can also use different target filenames than the ones shown above.

Update CONFIG.PRO to point to Customized PVZ Export Recipe Files

(3) in Creo Parametric, select File/Options/Data Exchange
(4) in field "ProductView .pvs and .pvz format export recipe file", select the file name from Step (1).
If you skipped Steps (1) and (2) above, just select "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M040\text\prodview\export_pvs.rcp".

(4a) Alternatively, you can edit your CONFIG.PRO to add the following line:
intf_out_pvs_recipe_file <file>
where <file> is the full path and filename from Step (1)

Customize Recipe Files

(5) add/modify the following lines in "export_pvs_mobile.rcp" using a text editor:
adapter/outputAuthorState=1
adapter/useTransparency=1
adapter/outputThumbnail=1
adapter/thumbRecipe=M<folder>\\pvsthumb_mobile.rcp, replace each backslash (\) with double-backslash (\\) in the path <folder> (e.g. C:\\Users\\Guest\\My Documents\\pvsthumb_mobile.rcp)

(5a) If you use "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M040\apps\prodview\bin\rcpedit.exe":
Basic Tab/Output Author States [checked]
Basic Tab/Output Thumbnail [checked]
Parameters Tab/Miscellaneous Tab/Convert/Transparency [checked]
Advanced Tab/System Tab/Thumbnail/Thumbnail Recipe and select <folder>\pvsthumb_mobile.rcp

(6) add/modify the following lines in "pvsthumb_mobile.rcp" using a text editor:
adapter/ImageHeight=256
adapter/ImageWidth=256
adapter/imageShadows=0
adapter/imageBGColor=255,255,255

This will create a 256x256 pixel icon with white background similar to the PTC viewable samples. If you choose to skip this step, the default icon will be 200x200 with a blue background.

Export to PVZ
(7) start Creo Parametric and load you part or assembly model and create the desired simplified reps and/or annotations
(8) select View/Manager/Simp Rep/Master Rep
(9) select View Manager/Style/Master Style
(10) select File/Save As
(11) under Type, select Creo View (*.pvz)
(12) under New Name, enter the desired output filename. Three files will be created: one PVZ file (.pvz), one JPEG thumbnail image (.jpg) and one log file (.log)

Note that Steps (8) and (9) are MANDATORY. If the master rep is not set at the time of .PVZ export, none of the simplified reps will be exported and the "Views" button will not appear in Creo View Mobile. After the .pvz file has been generated. Use a zip program (WinZip, 7-Zip, etc.) to open this file. If you see only filenames with extensions ".ol", you have missed Steps (8) or (9). If you see filenames with extensions ".ol" AND ".pva" then your simplified reps and annotations are properly exported.

Add Thumbnail to PVZ

If you don't use iTunes to upload the .pvz file directly to the PTC Creo View Mobile and use "Open File in..." instead from other file transfer apps or Cloud apps (Dropbox, FileApp Pro, etc.), you can skip the following steps as PTC Creo View Mobile will not store "Open File in..." files as viewables and therefore no icon will appear on the "Viewables" screen. I can only get this part to work manually using the following steps:

(13) add the JPEG thumbnail image from Step (12) to .PVZ file generated in Step (12). The .PVZ file is just a ZIP archive renamed with a different extension so you can use any ZIP program (WinZip, 7-Zip, etc.) to open the .pvz file and add another file.
(14) create file "manifest.xml" using a text editor with following contents and add it to the .pvz file as well:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<pvpackage version="0.1">
<thumbnail>[thumbnail.jpg]</thumbnail>
<title>[title text]</title>
<description>[description text]</description>
</pvpackage>

where [thumbnail.jpg] is the name of the JPEG thumbnail image generated in Step (12)
[title text] is the first line of text underneath the Viewable icon
[description text] is the second/bottom line of text underneath the Viewable icon

I hope this helps. I don't understand why PTC spent the time and effort to create this free and useful app and then provides almost no information on how to use it properly.

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Difficult to find documentatio about it

Do you know how to Change the Views’ thumbnail?

Top Tags