cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Can Drawing Templates Pull Notes From A File?

Bob_Johnson
7-Bedrock

Can Drawing Templates Pull Notes From A File?

My company uses drawing templates to help maintain consistency with company drafting standards. If our standard notes need an update, I have to update all of our drawing templates (we have about 15). 

Is there a way for a drawing template to pull its notes from a file? 

In this way I would only need to update the notes documents?

notes_gen.gif

Thanks,

Bob

2 REPLIES 2

We have been working on some functionality specific to notes that allows you to use Excel to perform many of these operations (after the drawings is created).

You can easily loop through a stack of drawings, retrieve their notes (from either the model or drawing) and write/append them to native Excel Tables.  We have done several automations like this in the past, they are pretty straight forward in most cases.

Once the notes are in an Excel Table - you can easily transform the the notes (e.g. change values, delete, add, etc.) using Excel Power Query and Set the Values back to your target model/drawing (again referencing a table to SET_CREATE the notes)

All of the above can be done in a few commands from within Excel.

Here are the functions we are releasing in Nitro-CELL v11 specific to notes.

We will put a notice out to the community when Nitro-CELL v11 it is available... 

Alternatively - you can do something very similar with CREOSON [OpenSource Creo Automation] (if you want to code a bit - but no fancy Excel interface like Nitro-CELL has).

Dave

@Bob_Johnson wrote:

My company uses drawing templates to help maintain consistency with company drafting standards. If our standard notes need an update, I have to update all of our drawing templates (we have about 15). 

Is there a way for a drawing template to pull its notes from a file? 

In this way I would only need to update the notes documents?

notes_gen.gif

Thanks,

Bob

Hi,

the ability to define a reference to a text file is not implemented in Creo.

You have to change note text manually -OR- you can "develop" some automation solution.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags