cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Can I create a Round that is tangent to only one surface?

dprieb
4-Participant

Can I create a Round that is tangent to only one surface?

I am trying to create the round on the sharp end of a helical sweep but want to be able to specify the radius and dimension from the end of the sweep. They may not always result in tangency to the end face.

I have tried using a swept cut but it is really hard to keep it tangent to the helical surface in Cartesian since everything I am working on is really in cylindrical coordinates. Also, that method doesn't produce my desired result it just cosmetically looks close.

Using Creo 2 M130 or Creo 3 M090

i.e. If I want a 25mm radius round that begins 8mm in from the end of the helical sweep only tangent to the swept surface but intersecting the end face not tangent to it.

Round1.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dprieb
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

Well, if the round tool will NOT ever do this it forces my hand into another method.

I follow you with the offset plane and then using intersect to get the curve. I have tried that route before but the geometry you can't see on the screen made it tricky to get a trajectory for a sweep. When I used the intersect to create a reference curve I was able to get a section normal to it and then sketched my radius from the trajectory intersect to the end face. It worked good but left the sliver seen in blue outline. Flexible modeling remove surface took care of that.

Round2.jpg

Either way it works for large radii but would not build when I tried to make it go tangent to the end face...then I should just use a Chordal round.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:dprieb)

That's a bit like asking if there's a way to make an extrude that turns a corner.  Extrudes go straight and rounds are tangent on both sides.

I cans see making an offset plane at your 8mm, create a curve at the intersection of that plane and the helical surface and sweeping a 25mm radius along it.  Getting tangent will be the tricky bit, but I think it should be possible.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
dprieb
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

Well, if the round tool will NOT ever do this it forces my hand into another method.

I follow you with the offset plane and then using intersect to get the curve. I have tried that route before but the geometry you can't see on the screen made it tricky to get a trajectory for a sweep. When I used the intersect to create a reference curve I was able to get a section normal to it and then sketched my radius from the trajectory intersect to the end face. It worked good but left the sliver seen in blue outline. Flexible modeling remove surface took care of that.

Round2.jpg

Either way it works for large radii but would not build when I tried to make it go tangent to the end face...then I should just use a Chordal round.

dprieb
4-Participant

Question 2: Why would the method shown above work in Creo 3 and not work when re-created in Creo 2?

I will test more tomorrow but I used all the same referencing and it will not stay normal to the sweep trajectory.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I'm not aware of any differences in that would cause one to work and the other fail.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
dprieb
4-Participant

It does work in Creo 2 the reference selection was slightly different. When I started over again it did work.

Top Tags