cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Can I save a note with a custom symbol reference within it?

spete
5-Regular Member

Can I save a note with a custom symbol reference within it?

I have a note that I would like to reuse with a custom symbol in it.  Basically the note is a legend for the custom symbol to make sure that it's meaning is understood in the drawing.

1. Is it possible to save the note with the custom symbol?
  2. How is this done?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:spete)

Hi,

use uploaded data for testing my procedure ...

Testing procedure (I used CR2 M070):

• open new drawing
  • place mysym.sym on the drawing
  • delete the symbol
  • add note from file, use mysym.txt

MH

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
rcook
6-Contributor

You can place a symbol in a note using the syntax &sym(SYMBOL_NAME). The one catch is that the symbol has to exist in the drawing (been placed previously) before you add the note otherwise it won't show the symbol...

spete
5-Regular Member
(To:rcook)

I have the note placed and the symbol inserted as you have stated.  The question I have is saving the note to be used again as a note from a file.  It seems that when I save the note and reuse it as a test within the same drawing, the note is placed without the symbol text.

rcook
6-Contributor

The note will be saved to file without the symbol. Open the note in a text editor and manually add the &sym(SYMBOL_NAME) into the note and Save. Now it should bring in the symbol when you place the note, assuming the symbol exists in the drawing. I only tried it in a 2D drawing, not sure how it would work in a 3D model...

spete
5-Regular Member

I want to save the note as a separate file to be used again later.  I able to create a note with a symbol callout, but when saving/retrieving the note file, the callout disappears.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

use uploaded data for testing my procedure ...

Testing procedure (I used CR2 M070):

• open new drawing
  • place mysym.sym on the drawing
  • delete the symbol
  • add note from file, use mysym.txt

MH

Martin Hanák
spete
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Ok... that worked... so how did you get the symbol to stay with the note?

Edit:  I was able to keep the symbol reference in the text by editing the text file in Notepad and adding it there.  Not ideal, but usable.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

I created mysym.txt in Notepad, not in Creo.

MH

Martin Hanák
spete
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

That makes sense, since I had to modify mine in Notepad to add the symbol reference.  I don't know why PTC hasn't taken care of this.

Thanks Martin!

Top Tags