cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Can a cosmetic sketch be converted into a standard sketch?

rbast
1-Newbie

We are converting from one system to Creo 2.0.  We have labels with signal words,diagrams and descriptions.  We need to be able to color backgrounds, the diagrams and block lettering the appropriate colors.  For example the signal word "Caution" needs to be black with a yellow background.  The signal word "Warning" needs to be red with a white background and so on.  There are also some diagrams and additional information on the labels that need to be colored as well.  The designer doing the conversion created all these items using cosmetic sketch which was time consuming.  So if these words and diagrams can be colored filled using the cosmetic sketch, we are not aware of how this is done.  If it can't be, then using extrude and coloring the surfaces would need to be done.  But of course a cosmetic sketch cannot be used for features.  Recreating the labeling sketches is not desirable because of time.  Does anyone have a solution?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok.  You got me in the right direction but I didn't do exactly as you mentioned.  I did a test part.  Created a 1 mm thick plate and created a cosmetic sketch using '3d Font'.  I cannot use 'Filled font' as it creates lines that prevent the extrude from working.  I finished the sketch and went back to defining it.  Once in the sketch I used a trap box selection and selected all of the words.  I exited the cosmetic sketch.  Then I went to model > extrude > placement.  Selected my working surface / plane and changed the orientation so the copied elements of the sketch would not be on top of the cosmetic sketch (just testing so I didn't want to do that).  I right clicked and selected paste.  I was given a placement point to use.  I placed the copied sketch and exited the extrude sketch dialog.  Now back in extrude I gave a height (.002) to the extrude and exited.  Now the text had a separate surface that it's surroundings and I was able to render the text one color and the surrounding a different color.

Thanks for the lead into what I needed to do

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:rbast)

Redefine the Sketch and select 'Save' or 'Save As' and the sketch can be saved. Then create a new feature and use the saved sketch in it.

For best use of saved sketches, it is best to have all the sketch dimensions internal to the sketch - instead of dimensions to part edges and surfaces, that they go to construction lines. Then the dimensions can stay with the sketch and placing the sketch requires only making the construction lines coincident with the part geometry.

Ok.  You got me in the right direction but I didn't do exactly as you mentioned.  I did a test part.  Created a 1 mm thick plate and created a cosmetic sketch using '3d Font'.  I cannot use 'Filled font' as it creates lines that prevent the extrude from working.  I finished the sketch and went back to defining it.  Once in the sketch I used a trap box selection and selected all of the words.  I exited the cosmetic sketch.  Then I went to model > extrude > placement.  Selected my working surface / plane and changed the orientation so the copied elements of the sketch would not be on top of the cosmetic sketch (just testing so I didn't want to do that).  I right clicked and selected paste.  I was given a placement point to use.  I placed the copied sketch and exited the extrude sketch dialog.  Now back in extrude I gave a height (.002) to the extrude and exited.  Now the text had a separate surface that it's surroundings and I was able to render the text one color and the surrounding a different color.

Thanks for the lead into what I needed to do

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:rbast)

Richard Bast

If you were able to answer your own question, don't forget to mark your answer as correct in case someone searches on the same issue.

Thanks, Dale

I would but the option is not shown.  Actions drop down indicates; "No actions are available".  It's the only menu I see. 

Hi Richard,

You should see a Green Star and Correct Answer button at the bottom of the window.  If you don't, I can mark the Correct Answer for you.  Please let me know which comment to mark.

Thanks,

Amit

Duh, I was not looking at the original question but the reference in the inbox.  No wonder I couldn't find it.  That's what happens when doing several things at once.  Thanks.

Top Tags