cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Can you use views in an open Assembly?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Can you use views in an open Assembly?

I don't use Assembly that much but our department is starting a project that requires Assembly.

It didn't take us long to realize that in an open assembly there isn't an option to place this part in a standard view.

Are we missing something or is it not possible to be in a view in an open assembly?

The other thing we noticed was that the datum planes show up in the open assembly but they aren't the typical Front Side and Top call out.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:pimm)

Assemblies have the same view capabilities as part file.

Parts are assembled in space orientation. If you pick "default" when adding a part, it orients the same as is does in its part mode.

You can define views from the "orient" dialog of the view UI. Click any flat surface or datum plane to set the "face" of the view and any surface or datum plane normal to the 1st selection to be the "top" direction.

Or am I completely off by how I am interpreting your question?

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

You are very correct.

The views do populate automatically.

We are new to using Assembly. It appeared there was a clear cut issue when one of our group was using Assembly and the views did not populate. I didn't realize that a computer issue was why this was happening.

When I saw your reply I tried this out on my own machine and the views work just fine.

I'm not sure what created the issue but it works correctly for now.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:pimm)

If you typically start with a template model, views are predefined.

If you start with an "empty" model (part or assembly), no views are created except the default view and standard view which are tilted.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I'm fairly certain that we derived the assembly file off of an existing template. If this ever crops up again we'll be sure to double check to see if the template wasn't used.

Top Tags