Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circular references all but baked in the cake in creo 4.0

Highlighted

Circular references all but baked in the cake in creo 4.0

So i keep getting circular references that in the past would never have resulted as such.

AND the common theme is always some elusive dimension that doesn't even exist.......ie:

1 CIRCULAR REFERENCE LOOPS FOUND

LOOP #  1

Depth of loop is 4

Feature number 53 (COMPONENT, id = 5562)

in model 171757_42617_TOP_HSNG refers to:

Feature number 5 (COPY_1, id = 284)

in model HH_SUB_INSERT_TOP refers to:

Feature number 54 (Dimensions, id = 4826)

in model 171757_42617_TOP_HSNG must follow after:

Feature number 53 (COMPONENT, id = 5562)

in model 171757_42617_TOP_HSNG - circle closed.

THERE IS NO FEATURE 54, THERE IS NO DIMENSIONS, ID = 4826 ANYWHERE.

And then the "information center" is all but useless.....when i regen and the error shows up i open the "information center" that tells me NOTHING WHAT SO EVER.....so what is the point of having it?

I've never had to worry about circular references before as i know what i'm doing (at least i thought i did) but now i get them in almost every assembly and it's always some dimension in a feature that is past my model tree feature count.......WTF is going on?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Circular references all but baked in the cake in creo 4.0

Definitely worth creating a case with tech support.  Do you have maintenance?  If not, upload a sample part with this issue and I'll be glad to create a case myself.

Highlighted

I too would recommend making a case for it.

Highlighted

In working with 4.0 i noticed that PTC Has done something with the references. It was bad to begin with and now its just messed up.

Highlighted

Any news on this?  This is one of the issues that has me hesitating to consider Creo 4.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Highlighted

I just haven't had the time to follow up. That and i'm upgrading my computer so i'll be downloading the latest build and i'm hoping that makes a difference.

I'm picking up the new puter Friday so hopefully by 2 weeks tops i'll know more.

Highlighted

I continue to recommend filing a case.  Looking at the internals, we could probably straighten this confusion out quite quickly.

Highlighted

Has anyone solved this issue? I have 44 circular references and my regeneration time has come to a halt. I have lots of experience dealing with "normal" circular references, but this has me stumped.

44 CIRCULAR REFERENCE LOOPS FOUND

LOOP # 1

Depth of loop is 5

Feature number 68 (COMPONENT, id = 27691)
in model 181812_8777 refers to:

Feature number 152 (Dimensions, id = 25659)
in model 181812_8777 must follow after:

Feature number 142 (SKETCH_2, id = 43207)
in model 181812_8777 refers to:

Feature number 88 (COMPONENT, id = 28109)
in model 181812_8777 must follow after:

Feature number 68 (COMPONENT, id = 27691)
in model 181812_8777 - circle closed.

Highlighted

I'd really suggest sending a copy to PTC for evaluation.  Do you have active maintenance?

Highlighted

It's impossible to diagnose without the model. The text is refering to specific model features so...

I would start tihe sketch_2 (feature #142) and see if any of the references are external.

My common way of creating them is to assemble a part based on datums, create geometry based on references from the assembly and then I redefine the original component placement from the datums to geometry. BOOM, CRC created.

One of my troubleshooting methods is to separate a suspected part from the assembly (new folder). Then, in a clean session of Creo, open the part and see what kind of references it is looking for.

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)
Announcements