cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Converting .stp files for use in 3DS Max

ptc-5652218
1-Newbie

Converting .stp files for use in 3DS Max

Hi, in my job I often export Creo models as .OBJ files to 3DS Max for rendering and animation.

However some of the parts I use are bought in, so we don't have the Creo part files on hand, only representations with an Import Feature id.

Is there anyway to export this in a suitable file type for use in 3DS Max?

I'm using Creo 2 & 3DS Max 2012.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Welcome to the forum, Owen.

It depends on the format of the import feature. 3DS loves facet data because it is light weight. Creo, on the other had, can't do much with facet data (not by default). But there are a number of faced data outputs. Personally I prefer WRL files (VRML) because I know how to edit them and they have extensive knowledge on the web regarding this.

Therefore, if you have facet data as the master file imported into Creo, about all you can do is export it as one of the many facet data file formats.

When you do have a solid body model available, then you can output to just about anything.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-5652218)

If they are solid, it should be the same process. Unless I mis-understand your question.

If they are not solid, they still may export good enough if you select Surface on the export. This is pure guess, though, you just have to try it.

Top Tags