cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Copy Assy and drawing

jrosenlund-2
2-Guest

Copy Assy and drawing

Is there anyway to create a copy of a drawing and an assy and update the BOM?

When we try to do this and sends over the BOM to annotation, erases the sketch and insert the new BOM all position balloons are lost or more exactly they are still there but not connected to the BOM, so we have to put them in again. This is very time consuming and in other cad and PDM systems this is not necessary because it is updated so the BOM and Structure of assy is the same. I hope there is a way to solve this, hope that it is just me that is doing it wrong....

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Depends on your working environment. If you are just saving it on your local system there is a config option rename_drawings_with_object you can set. The files names need to be exactly the same for it to work.

We are working with Creeo Elemenst direct and Model Manager ver 19.

And it seems to work fine with BOM update and so on if you don't change the names on assy and drawing. It would have been good if you could just say copy from MM and you will get a new masterdata assy and drawing with BOM and all.

I should check this.

The BOM balloons are referenced to the ELID of the MASTERDATA elements in your BOM.

If you have the same MASTERDATA elements, then their should be a way to re-link them to your new BOM.

What I suspect is that the owning MASTERDATA (of your drawing) has changed, and maybe there's still a reference.

Haven't you tried to log a case at PTC Support?

Best regards,

Wim.

I have not been talking to the PTC support. The assy and drawing and bom are new but all the reference in the bom are the same.

So there is no functionality in Elements Direct to do a copy of an assy and drawing without having to put out all ballons, it take some time if you have 100 balloons.

I don't know if this is what they intended but we have access to Creo Direct although all our models are created with Creo Parametric. In our case for Creo Direct models Creo Parametric would be used to do the detail drawings. In this case there isn't a problem renaming the models and drawing and keeping the balloon attachments.

So you are using both Creo elements direct and Creo Parametric? Do you also use Model manager or do you use anather PDM system?

We are Using Creo Direct 2 and Creo Parametric 2 with Windchill. The models can be created, opened, edited, and saved in either. Drawings are created in Creo Parameteric. If the names for the assembly model and drawing are the same and the option rename_drawings_with_object is set to both in Creo Parameteric, when you save a copy of the assembly you have the option to rename parts and sub-assemblies, the drawings that have the same name as the parts or assemblies they detail are copied and given the same name as the new parts or assemblies. In Windchill you can also copy the top level assembly or drawing which allows you to select options for including, excluding, collecting, etc. items to be copied. With this the balloons stay attached in the drawing, at least I haven't seen attachments lost.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:Kevin)

Hi,

FYI Johan Rosenlund uses Creo Elements/Direct (CoCreate), not Creo Direct.

MH

Martin Hanák

I realize that. My point was that because of the environment we use I wasn't seeing the problem.

Top Tags