cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Copy drawing and model and attach them

kpaiva
1-Newbie

Copy drawing and model and attach them

How do you do this? We tend to make parts off of other parts that are similar so it would come in handy to be able to attach drawings to models. When I tried making a copy of a drawing it still kept it attached to the old model. I tried using add model under legacy migration but it did nothing. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

first, in your config.pro, you need:

rename_drawings_with_object both

With the model open (part or assembly), do:

File>Save As>Save a copy

if you have an assembly open, it will allow you to rename any components of the assembly.

Any objects that are renamed will also create a new drawing, even in the assembly rename

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

first, in your config.pro, you need:

rename_drawings_with_object both

With the model open (part or assembly), do:

File>Save As>Save a copy

if you have an assembly open, it will allow you to rename any components of the assembly.

Any objects that are renamed will also create a new drawing, even in the assembly rename

Ken

If the model & drawing have the exact same name, this function is the default. when you copy the drawing to a new name it will make a copy of the model with the same name.
If the model and drawing have different names, it does not work

There are some complicated work around techniques but I recommend that the model & associated drawing have the same name.

ABC.prt ---- ABC.drw

DEF.asm --- DEF.drw
etc.

Dave

This was key for my success: Having the part (or assembly) name exactly match the drawing name, this shows your intent to creo in the most direct way.

This is using the file, save-as method within creo (not windchill)

Create parts and assembly, then create drawings that exactly match the drawing name to corresponding prt/asm

ABC.prt ----> ABC.drw

DEF.asm --->DEF.drw

underlying creo config: config.pro, setting: rename_drawings_with_object set to "both"

With the asm model open (DEF.asm in this case), do: File>Save As>Save a copy

rename the asm model and the child part (ABC.prt in this case)

Make sure Associated items > Copy Drawings box is checked

operation results in 4 new items, 1 part, 1 assembly, and 2 drawings

GHI.prt + GHI.drw

JKL.asm + JKL.drw

kpaiva
1-Newbie
(To:kpaiva)

Thanks guys. I think you were both correct. With both drawing and part open I renamed and saved them. Renaming the part first. That linked them together.

hi, i'm still in the process of learning creo. and have a similar issue with save as.

i'm modifying some parts/assems and want to create copies in a separate folder so as not to affect production files. the mods may or may not go ahead.

the save as copy works for parts/assems so long as both part/assem and drawing are open. what i can't figure out is if the part/assem has an instance (both my parts and assems have instances that need copied also) and the instance has its own drawing. to complicate it even further the instance drawing is for a second product and is in another folder. using the save as copy when you open the new part/assem the instance is no longer attached. also the save as copy doesn't copy the instances drawing.

what is the best way to copy and rename everything so that parts/assems and there drawings all keep the correct links?

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:doug_anderson)

Sounds like you are not using WindChill for file management.  This makes it a bit easier.

• Open the drawings and use Save As / Save a Backup for all drawings to create a copy in a new folder.
  • Close all files and erase from session.
  • Open the copied drawings and rename as needed. (File / Manage File / Rename)
  • Open the models and rename as needed.
  • Save Drawings

There is always more to learn in Creo.

thanks.

yes not using windchill. i see, when using the backup from the drawing it automatically copies the part too.

ok so once this is done and progressed the mods, and everything gets approved, whats the best way to then  rename (back to the original part number) and move all the files and drawings back to the main production folders?

i noticed that the creo file number has reset back to .1

do i move the files back to there original folder and then just rename them and then save then? this seems to work and gives you the correct creo file number but is there a better way?

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:doug_anderson)

Rename the file using the same process.

Backup files to original location.  Will automatically create the next version number (eg .37).

There is always more to learn in Creo.

i'll have a go and see what happens,

thanks

hi.

thanks, I've trailed the first one before and the 'save as copy' whilst in the part gives the associated drawing of the generic but not of the instance? am i missing something here?

my colleague showed me something similar to the second way using the windows explorer as well as creo, but just seems a but klunky. copying back and forth whilst renaming. seems if you miss a prt or drw whilst doing this then you give yourself some issues?

This is the best work around that I have found for large family tables. It is a bit klunky, but it gets the job done.

I have had many projects that start and a change to an already existing product. This is one way to get all the instances and drawings. You have to be very careful how you do it also. You may need to open several drawings, rename the model, save the drawing, rename the model back, open more drawings.....

Also, you have to have at least the next level up model open while doing this so that you don't loose the placement into the assembly.

ok, thanks for help.

i'll give it a go and see how everything works.

Top Tags