Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy drawing and model and attach them

SOLVED

Copy drawing and model and attach them

How do you do this? We tend to make parts off of other parts that are similar so it would come in handy to be able to attach drawings to models. When I tried making a copy of a drawing it still kept it attached to the old model. I tried using add model under legacy migration but it did nothing. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Copy drawing and model and attach them

first, in your config.pro, you need:

rename_drawings_with_object both

With the model open (part or assembly), do:

File>Save As>Save a copy

if you have an assembly open, it will allow you to rename any components of the assembly.

Any objects that are renamed will also create a new drawing, even in the assembly rename

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

first, in your config.pro, you need:

rename_drawings_with_object both

With the model open (part or assembly), do:

File>Save As>Save a copy

if you have an assembly open, it will allow you to rename any components of the assembly.

Any objects that are renamed will also create a new drawing, even in the assembly rename

View solution in original post

Ken

If the model & drawing have the exact same name, this function is the default. when you copy the drawing to a new name it will make a copy of the model with the same name.
If the model and drawing have different names, it does not work

There are some complicated work around techniques but I recommend that the model & associated drawing have the same name.

ABC.prt ---- ABC.drw

DEF.asm --- DEF.drw
etc.

Dave

Thanks guys. I think you were both correct. With both drawing and part open I renamed and saved them. Renaming the part first. That linked them together.

This was key for my success: Having the part (or assembly) name exactly match the drawing name, this shows your intent to creo in the most direct way.

This is using the file, save-as method within creo (not windchill)

Create parts and assembly, then create drawings that exactly match the drawing name to corresponding prt/asm

ABC.prt ----> ABC.drw

DEF.asm --->DEF.drw

underlying creo config: config.pro, setting: rename_drawings_with_object set to "both"

With the asm model open (DEF.asm in this case), do: File>Save As>Save a copy

rename the asm model and the child part (ABC.prt in this case)

Make sure Associated items > Copy Drawings box is checked

operation results in 4 new items, 1 part, 1 assembly, and 2 drawings

GHI.prt + GHI.drw

JKL.asm + JKL.drw