cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Create a centre line in a drawing on a swept profile

amccaffrey
1-Newbie

Create a centre line in a drawing on a swept profile

I have created a part with a swept profile. In the drawing of the profile section, I need to dimension the radius created from the profile but cannot see how I can introduce a centre line annotation for this. Any ideas anyone?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

which radius?

call them out from a model.

Sorry, should be more specific. The R4 radius (in 2 swept profile positions.

Normally, in the drawing of the part, the centre lines are created by clicking on 'annotate' then clicking on 'show model annotations' then choosing the relevant dimensions, gtols etc. If you look at the attached drawing I'm looking for a cross hair centre line for the radius.

I'm working in Creo2 BTW.

Not sure why this is. See attached jpeg file with an arrow showing the radius that requires crosshairs.

activity_table_accessory.jpg

If PTC did what I recommended in my other post this would be easier. Add a point in your swept profile, than go create an axis. (PTC) It sketch mode we should have the option to add a point or axis. Like in extrude mode, when you add a point (it is an axis), we should have the option to do both.

An axis will, as far as I know, only be created once as it won't allow you do do it again (as far as I can gather). I can create an axis as mentioned for this particular view (by inserting the axis in model mode along part of the sketch line) but have not managed to do it along ALL of a swept profile using the sketch line. Perhaps it's not possible?

I'd select the surface generated by the radius and add an axis. Creo doesn't do it because it can't be sure the extrusion will be linear when using a sweep. Since an axis can't bend around a curved path, they just don't put it in.

I think only sweep/blend will generate an optional "spine" (not exactly an axis).

In your case, Andrew, I suggest making a model axis that will function only for the drawing based on the sketch. You can make it any way you like that makes sense. Making a stand-alone sketch with a geometry point will let you create an axis normal to the sketch plane and through the point. Now you have a dynamic centermark for your drawing.

I too would love to see an intelligent "drawing centerline" option added to the sketch tab.

Be careful not to over-dimension your part. It is, after all, a tangent result depending on what you end up controlling. A radius dimension blending two surfaces that are shown tangent do not require the centermark, just the radius and sufficient definition for the two flat surfaces.

Top Tags