cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creating Assy Dwgs - Is there a way to pre-set the Simplified Rep?

mkelley-2
1-Newbie

Creating Assy Dwgs - Is there a way to pre-set the Simplified Rep?

When creating a new drawing (using a template) the Creo dialog forces one to specify an assembly; unfortunatley there is no way to specify which Simp Rep should be used. The default is to add the Master Rep. Which is fine, unless one is working with a large assembly. In which case it is highly annoying, because then one first needs to wait for the drawing to be created; then switch any views to the desired Simp Rep; then remove the Master Rep; and finally use "Erase Not Displayed" to reduce memory usage. By which time one may have experienced a crash due to memory leakage. There's gotta be a better way! Does anyone else feel my pain?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
37 REPLIES 37

I have a sneaking suspiscion that you are correct, Antonius - but I don't have the time required right now to check it out & be certain...

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:mkelley-2)

I am not sure either but I doubt it unless there is an option for using a default rep in a drawing.

The reason I am so interested in this topic is that at about the same time this was going on here, one of our CadAdmin guys was working on some performance ideas for my group and he came across this problem also. This conversation here helped me diagnose his problem. I thought it was reasonable for me to submit the product idea.

Hi Mark,

Once you are using template, why don’t try to set one view in your template as simplified rep.

I haven't tried and I don’t know if it will bring the master rep too, but who knows.

If it works you will only have to define std names for the simplified reps.

Hi Mark,

Sorry I might have missed one post where the suggestion I gave was already provided.

Anyhow, I've made some tests and realized that when you create a new drawing and browse to define the assembly to represented , by default, if there is any user defined simplified rep in that assembly, the "open rep" dialog box will shows up and you will be able to select the simplified rep you desire. No other components will be brought to memory except the ones included in the simplified rep.

The same behavior will happen if you start a empty drawing and then add models.

rep1.PNG

Yes, this happens, when you create the drawing with the options Empty or Empty with Format.

However, when you use the option Use template, then the Open Rep dialog does not open.

Yes, You are right, even if you have a view defined in your template using simplified rep, it will bring master rep together.

A workaround would be created your drawing using a dump model, then add the real Large Model with simplified rep.

It will not work fine if have many drawing views defined in your template, once the new model will not be automatic replaced on those views and you will have create them again.

That's exactly the workaround we've started using just recently !

Top Tags