cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creating a Symbol of a Company Logo

JWayman
1-Newbie

Creating a Symbol of a Company Logo

My company is changing its logo, so I need to change the drawing formats accordingly.

I have a .bmp and a .jpg of the new logo.

How do I make a symbol using one of these files?

I have tried inserting the file as an object into a drawing and then using Format, Symbol Gallery to make a new symbol, but when I come to copy stuff from the drawing, it won't pick the bmp or jpg.

As usual, the logic itself - stick the logo on a drawing, make a symbol, copy the logo from the drawing into the new symbol, then write to save the symbol - defeated me for a while. In these drag & drop days, it's hard to believe anyone could ever have devised such a convoluted way of doing something that seems so simple.

However, we have to use the tools with which we are presented, so, however cack-handed, I understand that is the workflow.

Problem is, I can't pick the logo in the drawing.

Any ideas?

WF4, m220

Thanks,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

John,

I cannot recommend to put bitmap into a drawing. I suggest to create company logo using line entities.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Perhaps I'll suggest to the corporate marketing people that they redesign the corporate logo using line entities so that Pro/Engineer can use it. That will go down well, I expect.

I probably have not explained the problem clearly enough.

I have an existing drawing format, with the existing corporate logo embedded in it in the form of a drawing symbol.

I have only that drawing symbol to work with.

I have captured a screenshot of the existing logo and modified it, then saved it, both as a .bmp and as a .jpg.

I placed the revised corporate logo on a drawing.

I tried to redefine the drawing symbol and select the new logo to replace the old, but I can not select it, whichever file format I place it in, jpg or bmp.

My question concerns how to use the revised logo in a drawing symbol.

It's something I will do twice in my working life, probably, so I don't know how to do it and I don't need to know how to do it from memory. I just need simple, step-by-step instructions on how to do it. You know, the sort that abound in the Pro/E help. (sarcasm, or is it irony?). And, Davor, for the same reasons, I don't know what a vector image is, or how to create one. It's just not something I need to have at my fingertips, it's something I need to be able to plod through once in a blue moon.

My company is not the only one with a pretty corporate logo on its drawing formats. I am not the only person to want to create a drawing symbol using the logo for placement wherever I need to in Pro/E drawings. Corporate marketing departments don't deal in DXF files or such-like, so, even if I could get the logo directly from them it would be in soemthing like .jpg format.

Someone, somewhere knows the right way to do this.

If that person is you, please let me know.

If I don't find out how to do it as a symbol, I will have to place it as an OLE object in each format, but then it is not readily available for use in the future. A symbol would be preferable.

Thanks,

John

John,

I have never seen symbol containing bitmap picture.

I think if you put bitmap image into drawing format (.frm) using Insert > Object command, then you will get what you want.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:JWayman)

The marketing types won't know about a vector version, but the artist that developed the logo should have a vector version. Otherwise the logo will look ugly at anything other than its original size. You may have to have a note from your chain of command as some organizations prefer to think that only PowerPoint presentations and business cards deserve to have official versions of the logo.

The very funny ones will publish PowerPoint templates that have a bitmap copy with a 2,000 pixel resolution that's resized to a postage stamp size and not wonder why an empty single sheet PP chart is 12MB.

As to what a vector image is - every line, arc, curve, and piece of editable text on a Pro/E drawing is the part of the vector image of the drawing. On a computer screen, if it isn't a bitmap, it's a vector image.

I believe you can use free software to convet an image to a vector file. Inkscape.org is one that should do the trick.

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite

If you want you can make vector image out of jpg/bmp and save as dxf and then put it in drawing. If its not too complex.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Do it in AutoCAD then import it into a Pro/E dwg.

James62
10-Marble

Just make sure the logo isn't made of closed curve loops, that might cause crash of Pro/E on the import.

Top Tags