cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo 2.0 how do you export an assembly BOM into Excel?

canderson
6-Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Carl...

Martin's method uses the Bill of Material information screen in conjunction with the "bom_format" config setting to export data that can be pulled into Excel. Actually that "bom_format" file is quite tricky and doesn't do a very good job unless you're familiar with text file formatting circa 1995. If you want to try this route, I can actually help with this as I've wasted countless hours fiddling with the bom_format files.

Kshetrabasi Mahanta's method is cleaner. To use his method you'll need to generate a bill of material on a drawing format OR create a report format to generate a bill of materials. From here, you can save the contents of the table as a CSV file and read that directly into Excel. BOMs are relatively easy to create. Almost no one uses report formats but I can help with either of these if you decide to go this route.

Finally, if you have Windchill, you can export a "CSV" file directly from the "Information" screen of your assembly. If you decide to go this route, it would help to know which version of Windchill or Pro/INTRALINK you're running so we can give better directions.

Those are the 3 main ways to pull BOM data into an Excel file. The fastest way is directly through Windchill... and this requires no table, drawing, or report. It's very simple. The most flexible way is via the drawing table or report... because you can really customize the data you're exporting to Excel. The worst way in my humble opinion is the bom_format file because it's absoilutely archaic and tough to work with. The best use for that bom_format file is to re-arrange the data that appears in the on-screen report generated by the "Bill of Materials" report from the Info screens.

I hope this sort of "ties it all together" for you. If you need additional help, let us know which technique you'd like to use. It's relatively easy to get a BOM into Excel once you know what you want and make a decision on how much work you're willing to go through to get the data.

Thanks!

-Brian

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Carl,

I think that this functionality (direct export into xls file) is not implemented.

You can define formating file using BOM_FORMAT config.pro option and export BOM into text file (in Assembly mode). Afterwards you can open this file in Excel and save as xls file.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hi

you can select your BOM table ; and save it as .csv file(Save as CSV)

Then you can directly open it in excel

This will place the BOM items it different cells as we generally require.

Regards

K.Mahanta

Hi Carl...

Martin's method uses the Bill of Material information screen in conjunction with the "bom_format" config setting to export data that can be pulled into Excel. Actually that "bom_format" file is quite tricky and doesn't do a very good job unless you're familiar with text file formatting circa 1995. If you want to try this route, I can actually help with this as I've wasted countless hours fiddling with the bom_format files.

Kshetrabasi Mahanta's method is cleaner. To use his method you'll need to generate a bill of material on a drawing format OR create a report format to generate a bill of materials. From here, you can save the contents of the table as a CSV file and read that directly into Excel. BOMs are relatively easy to create. Almost no one uses report formats but I can help with either of these if you decide to go this route.

Finally, if you have Windchill, you can export a "CSV" file directly from the "Information" screen of your assembly. If you decide to go this route, it would help to know which version of Windchill or Pro/INTRALINK you're running so we can give better directions.

Those are the 3 main ways to pull BOM data into an Excel file. The fastest way is directly through Windchill... and this requires no table, drawing, or report. It's very simple. The most flexible way is via the drawing table or report... because you can really customize the data you're exporting to Excel. The worst way in my humble opinion is the bom_format file because it's absoilutely archaic and tough to work with. The best use for that bom_format file is to re-arrange the data that appears in the on-screen report generated by the "Bill of Materials" report from the Info screens.

I hope this sort of "ties it all together" for you. If you need additional help, let us know which technique you'd like to use. It's relatively easy to get a BOM into Excel once you know what you want and make a decision on how much work you're willing to go through to get the data.

Thanks!

-Brian

The commands to follow for the Creo solutions can be found in the following articles:

• CS54492: How to export Bill of Materials in 3D mode to Microsoft Office Excel in Creo Parametric

• CS33205: How to export a repeat region table to be read in Microsoft Excel in Pro/ENGINEER, Creo Elements/Pro and Creo Parametric

Simplified Logic offers a tool that will create BOM in MS Excel based on a Pro E assembly.

http://simplifiedlogic.com/nitro-bom/

jc-3
1-Newbie
(To:canderson)

Hello,

There 3 different way for BOM extraction

1) directly go tools > Bill of material .

2)Export Model tree as a text file

3)Go to Windchill click Assembly     View Information  > Structure > Report (see the bom) > export(if the table is take default setting you can creat your own table format add the required parameter you want in you BOM) .

The best way is 3rd extracting from Strucutes.

if want to know in details email me jishnu.c009@gmail.com

Top Tags